Is anything made in America anymore?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by luminosity, Jan 2, 2008.

1. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

I realize that we live in a global economy now, so don't get me wrong there. I'm just starting to wonder if there's much of anything I buy that's made in America, or that anyone buys.

Anyone care to chime in on that?

2. shecky Guest

shecky

3. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

pharmaceuticals and cars (foreign car companies often build their cars here...)

4. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

On the retail end not much is made in America. It seems most of the products made in America are aimed at businesses.

5. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Credit Card debt and plain old debt... gotta love the consumer society. :p

7. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

American Apparel?

Yep... that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Kind of sad, really.

8. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Some Lucky Brand Jeans, some Armani Exchange shirts, other clothes from a few higher end manufacturers, cars, can't think of much else at the moment.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You mean apart from big floats cars that handle like a bathtub on wheels (corvette aside)??

10. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

11. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

Pretty sure it's in China. Used to be here, but not anymore.

12. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I think in about a 100 years from now history will come full circle and we'll be headed into another industrial revolution like we did the first time in the turn of the 20th century. We Americans are going to stand up and say: "I've had it with all this Chinese crap inundating me! Let's all start making our own stuff again!"

Yeah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The US is the largest exporter of goods in terms of dollar value.

Don't worry just because your cheap CD player was made in China and your mass market tshirt was made in Indonesia. If you were CFO of an airline or needed a hydraulic press four times the size of a house you'd know what was still made in America.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

15. n8236 macrumors 65816

I can't say I'm an expert in global economics, but I did study Econ for my undergrad in a very good school.

An industrial and manufacturing economy is one which is still being developed and booming such as the early 1900s in then US. Lots of exports and for cheap. But as the economy grows stronger, so does its currency. When currency becomes more expensive relative to others, so does its labor and exported goods. No one wants $ goods :) they want'em cheap!

Made in the U.S.A. is still around, but it is no longer a big part of the this economy. But assembly of items and supply chains thru the USA is still around, it doesn't play a large enough role to make a large enough impact where it's comparable to China.

It's not to say domestic manufacturing is non-existent, but it's limited in the items we produce due to mainly labor costs.

In today's world, the US has become an economy of service.

16. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

And when that currency disappears through the floor again, what then?

18. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

William Wallace would argue different.

19. n8236 macrumors 65816

If you're suggesting of the result in the USD falling to a point of worthlessness, then by theory the US economy will suffer from extreme inflation and other grave consequences.

Currently, because the world is now such an integrated place, a great fall of the USD to ***** will theoretically require a large debt bail-out from China (and other places where large USD reserves are being held) to help compensate for the dollar's value.

As other effects, because the $ is the king of the hill in currency exchange, a scenario as such will not only impact the US greatest, but also other countries' currencies since they are pegged to it. And their economies will suffer significantly as well (currency value, export/import prices).

If you ever keep track of the world economy, you will discover the dependence of the US market from other countries. When the US market goes down, relatively, so does the world (for the most part). In reality it's much more complicated than this, but chances are, the USD will not fall to a point where it's value is p00h and become industrial again. There's too much at stake for that to happen.

20. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Babies

Honestly though. Rest assured that even though your Mac may be made in China a good amount of the parts are made in the states. Your C2Ds come from Eugenie Oregon and your USB controllers, track pad controllers as well as a lot of stuff in you iPod come from Bloomington Minnesota.

21. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

George Bush, he was made in America and most Americans seem to buy his views.
    (Joking.. xD)

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Just imagine how much more expensive your stuff would be if it were made in America. I'm kinda glad it isn't.