Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joe7dust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2018
I saw in this thread that yosemite can be put on a dual layer DVD, but since the image is ALMOST small enough I was thinking there's probably a way to fit it into a DVD.

Maybe using more advanced compression or removing something not required for initial install?

Even if additional items must be downloaded later for the OS to be fully functional I still think it would be a neat feat of accomplishment and bragging rights.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-create-yosemite-os-x-bootable-dvd.1763439/

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Why would you want to put it on a DVD, when a USB drive would be so much more efficient, durable and compatible with more computers?

Reactions: DeltaMac

Joe7dust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2018
Why would you want to put it on a DVD, when a USB drive would be so much more efficient, durable and compatible with more computers?

Bragging rights mostly and because I have leftover DVDr yet my thumb drives are either not available or missing.

Joe7dust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2018
Surely this is doable? I'm doing this for more the 'because I can ' factor more than anything so difficulty is no object. I want to learn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.