Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I was really expecting a UI revamp/overhaul in OS 4.0...at least a notification system update and a lock screen with info on it

But it seems Apple has done little besides changing a few icon designs.

Is Apple afraid to do this because around 80 million people are already used to the current 4x5 icon-based grid UI and therefore doing a major change now/deviating too much is suicide as far as Apple is concerned?

The UI just seems really stale now and that new Dock is just plan ugly

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm starting to think that a new UI will come with the new iPhone, as it's rumoured to have a higher resolution.

TheJae

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2008
HKG
Whats wrong with the UI. Mac OS X has looked the same for 6 iterations, why would iPhone OS change so soon?

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Apple will never make a dramatic UI change. In OS X, subtle changes come in each version. They phase out certain elements and introduce new ones over time.

Just because some people 'are bored' with the UI doesn't warrant change. If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it.

I agree though that the Notifications need updated.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I'm starting to think that a new UI will come with the new iPhone, as it's rumoured to have a higher resolution.

If the resolution is a big a change as they say, yeah, it's very possible they've come up with something that looks great on the new phone but just doesn't work well at all on the old ones.

The complaining over THAT move will be massive, but hey, technology marches on.

BigOrangeSU

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
I sorta agree with the OP. I don't think Apple can ever make a dramatic interface change unless they can make it seamless for the user. I don't think we will ever see a drastic interface changes and will just see subtle changes over time. Apple will never introduce complex features first that can be used for tech junkies. They are really good at taking complex features implementing them really well, and simple enough for all users to use them. Example is multitasking, they did a really good job with that the phone is going to have excellent battery life and very easy to use interface. Though I still like webos's implementation better, though I understand why they can't use it.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Why would they need to chage it? If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Fortunately, Apple have never changed anything just got the sake of it. They leave that to the lesser manufacturers ;)

Leet Apple

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2009
Canada
The UI gets boring within a matter of months to some consumers, but i also think Apple didn't need to change it so much

Change is good right?:confused:

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
That's a bit like asking Windows or OSX to have a major UI change with every new version.
Tweaks and improvements, yes, but to have a total overhaul, just for changes sake, is folly, IMO.

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
I really don't see a need for a big ui change works just fine. As for notification info on the lock screen that could still happen. Steve said a hundred changes but only talked about seven.

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
While i certainly agree that the notifications system really did need fixing to make it more usable the overall UI won't necessarily change for a while ...

I've seen some mobile phone UI's not change (other than for a slight increase in animation/eye candy) for 5 or more years...

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2009
There are many aspects of UI. Many people make statements like "HTC HD2 has a better UI than iPhone", which is really a stupid statement. UI includes the shape and sizes of all controls on every single applications, the way copy and paste works, the responsiveness and accuracy of the screen which is a big big aspect of the UI, the way one switches between tasks, the way programs are launched, and the way one uses the limited screen size of a mobile device.

I personally hate any desktop that covers the entire screen with useless information like weather, as seen on HTC sense. Who on earth ever needs to look at the weather other than on a need basis, once a day? To use the entire screen for weather animation is plain stupid IMO. I see much more sense in having something like lockscreen info where all the information that really matters are shown without having to unlock the device though, so I do hope Apple allows users to show much more than just a clock there. As for the Springboard UI design, folder is a great step forward. I personally would probably use folder at times but Overboard at other times just to keep it interesting.

maz94protege

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2005
i think apple is finally answering the requests us iPhone owners and iPod touch owners/users have asked for; for sometime now. We want our custom backgrounds, we want to be able to make folders we want to be able to multi-task. And the fact that OSX has been the same for a while now is right, why change something that works and everyone is already adapted to? just change the minor/major things users/owners want to see to make them see the update/change and not feel outdated.

I honestly cant wait til OS4.0 Im out of contract with my iPhone3G here in november so im right in line waiting for the new iPhone to debut when its release and upgrade then.

I dont think they are shooting themselves in the foot one bit. Apple has always done stuff strategically. As painful and annoying as it is.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I was really expecting a UI revamp/overhaul in OS 4.0...at least a notification system update and a lock screen with info on it

But it seems Apple has done little besides changing a few icon designs.

Is Apple afraid to do this because around 80 million people are already used to the current 4x5 icon-based grid UI and therefore doing a major change now/deviating too much is suicide as far as Apple is concerned?

The UI just seems really stale now and that new Dock is just plan ugly

If its not broke you dont change something that sells.
They think more in the lines of improve and add than a major OS overhaul.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Fair arguments.

It's a functional UI...even more so now with 4.0. I guess gradual is the key word as opposed to drastic.

NDimichino

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
New Jersey

Why? 4.0 was already shown off and it was the same thing + multitasking and folders.

The UI isn't changing, which is why we should all be praying every night that the new iPhone (if there is one) blows us all away.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Why? 4.0 was already shown off and it was the same thing + multitasking and folders.

The UI isn't changing, which is why we should all be praying every night that the new iPhone (if there is one) blows us all away.

I already explained why...

If the rumoured higher resolution is true, they're going to have to make some adjustments to the UI.

There will be a new iPhone.

rerelease

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
eesti
I already explained why...

If the rumoured higher resolution is true, they're going to have to make some adjustments to the UI.

There will be a new iPhone.

They can't add double the stuff with double the resolution. They can only double the detail. Your fingers are only as big or small as they are and the UI needs to accept that. So you'll see sharper text and sharper corners for your buttons.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I don't get people sitting around waiting for a new UI revamp.

I understand wanting more info on the lock screen, but redoing the UI just for the heck of it doesn't make a lot of sense.

The UI is why the devices have become so popular.

Jinkst

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2008
London via Sydney
If you want a new UI, Jailbreak. It's the closest you'll get to a new UI in the near future, and even then it's still limited.

As has been said, why change it when it sells? iPhone is as simple as those who use it want it to be while also being as complex as other users want it to be. It's the perfect configuration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.