Is Apple betting on the death of Flash?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wyseguyonline, Apr 2, 2010.

1. wyseguyonline macrumors newbie

iPad-ready websites

Notice how many times HTML5 is mentioned with respect to web-based video. Embedded video is growing more and more common on web sites across the internet. However, most of this video is delivered through Flash. With HTML5's support of video directly in the code (no object tag needed), I'm left wondering if this isn't Apple's attempt to continue to avoid Flash support in Safari on their mobile devices or if Apple just has something against Adobe (which would be exceedingly strange given their past)? Of course support for video/audio in HTML5 is still limited, but this won't always be the case and as web surfing moves from laptops and desktops and into the more portable tablet and smartphone markets, Apple's refusal to support Flash in iPhone OS Safari could be a smart move in a few years.

What I do find encouraging is that the two companies poised to dominate ultra portable web/internet devices (mainly Apple and Google) are both companies with firm commitments to standards compliance. As a web developer, the more demand for standards compliance there is, the quicker we'll see the death of web browsers who undersupport, fail to support, or "embrace and extend" support of web standards.

Then again, anything that would hasten the outright demise of IE 6 would be a blessing.

2. dagomike macrumors 65816

The site has been mentioned, but yes... Apple has planted its flag.

3. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

No it's not betting on the death of Flash. It's actively trying to kill Flash all by itself.

You know what Apple says: The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

4. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I think Apple has only one real motive here.

They will taught moving the web to HTML5, that Flash is a battery drain on mobile devices, that it's unsecured, unstable etc. But the truth is they just want to control the way they deliver media content to there devices and know it will take awhile before everyone hops on the HTML5 bandwagon.

My 2 cents.

5. firteen888 macrumors regular

Flash IS a battery drain, unsecure and unstable. I hope Apple does kill it.

6. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I disagree, I think moving to a standards based presentation technology is a VERY smart way to go. That's not to say that I won't feel the pain of no flash on the ipad ever, but I'd rather have a ratified standard than a single company controlling the delivery.

By the time you install flash, air, silverlight, shockwave, java, etc etc etc... think of how many updates you have to keep track of to stop exploits. If there's a simple method of delivery that doesn't rely on one company to correct it or a browser plugin being granted access to your machine - how is that bad, ipad or desktop - the move to html5 video is good for consumers - and doesn't particularly help apple except some licensing fees, which they can afford.

7. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

Just like Companies don't pay taxes, only people pay taxes....
    Apple doesn't pay licensing fees, we do.
    They pass the costs on to us. Apple is only making profit. Look at the Millions of stock that was just cashed in. But I know what you're saying. Simple would be great, but I don't think it should be Apple's way, or the Highway.
    I think a Standard needs to be worked on by everyone, and hopefully agreed on. But when this much money is involved, it's almost impossible to get everyone to agree. Especially Apple.

8. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

I am just glad apple is giving us options. The net should not be 75% of flash anyway.

9. thrill5one6 macrumors regular

thrill5one6

Apple won't allow flash because of MONEY
    if flash was allowed, the app store and apple would lose a significant amount of money. Most people would play flash games on free game sites instead of paying $1-$10 on apple approved games from the app store.
    People wouldn't pay $30 for the slingbox app if they could watch it via flash like you do on a computer
    it's all about GREED and MONEY

10. diabolic macrumors 68000

It's really about Apple not wanting "unapproved" code to run on their mobile devices.

11. bossxii macrumors 68000

For the record, with few exceptions, every business needs to be money driven, greed is usually a part of it. (Shareholders demand it) BUT, that's not the reason Apple has ban'd flash. Flash creates security issues, performance issues and in the end SJ feels there is a better way.

If blocking flash was to limit outside content then why would Apple allow Netflix, and the ABC apps which stream the very TV shows and movies they have on the iTunes Store?

Slingplayer, BS, I have own'd a Slingbox for years, it's called LIVE SPORTING EVENTS. No site that I am aware of, other then ESPN360.com handles live sports, not to mention anything live you don't want to wait 24 hours to watch. Slingplayer give me access to my DVR, Reciever and 3 other media hubs if I want. No site, flash or otherwise as the ability to give me so many "live" channels TV as my Slingbox/Slingplayer app do.

And the part i didn't highlight, about flash games... most iPod Touches would need internet access to play flash games on the web. Free/.99/1.99 native games would still be purchase out of convenience and not worrying if they need to have Wifi connection and the fact the native app is easier to use as it's UI is specific to the Touch.

You should do a bit of research, you would find iTunes total revenus is less than 15% of Apple's overall income stream. Hardware is king, iTunes reason for operating is to drive hardware sales.

12. h00ligan macrumors 68030

The standards ARE worked on by everyone. Apple didn't make html5 - they just pushed it forward to avoid one company controlling media on the web, adobe. I don't hate adobe, I love many of their products. I'm indifferent to flash, but I do think that a standards based technology that has been agreed upon is a plus.

http://www.w3.org/ are the people standardizing html5 - not apple, or adobe, or anyone else. Although adobe is accused of sabotaging the standardization.

Bottom line it's not apple's way or the highway, they just have refused to license flash - and push forth on the actual standard not proprietary plugins.