Is Apple changing the Unlocked iPhone 5??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hello12, Apr 9, 2013.

1. hello12 macrumors regular

T-mobile is coming out with their own version of the iPhone 5 on April 12th with the AWS 3G enabled that no phones currently have. Does this mean that the FACTORY UNLOCKED iPhone 5's will have AWS 3G available starting on April 12th?...

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Apparently, yes. The A1428 model should have this capability if manufactured post April 12th.

3. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

From what I've read this phone is the same exact hardware as the current unlocked iPhone 5, but has a newer baseband. I would expect Apple to start selling the unlocked iPhone with the newer baseband on the 12th.

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

The "old" A1428 GSM iPhone 5 will no longer be sold, it is being phased out and replaced by the "new" A1428 GSM iPhone 5 with AWS support.

Don't ask me why they didn't do this from day 1, it's stupid.

5. hello12 thread starter macrumors regular

Guys, so I am going to have my unlocked iPhone 5 replaced at the apple store because it is having issues with connecting to LTE (won't load on LTE at all, and my family with the same iPhone does not have the issue),
    ....So should I wait until April 12th, and it will have AWS enabled?...:confused:

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I would be shocked if they swapped out all of their refurbs as well. Basically what we are speaking about is destroying millions of phones in favor of a small hardware update. I can;t say for certain, but my opinion is that they will continue replacing "older" models with "older" models until their supplies are depleted at that given location.

I am sure a handful of people are going to try replacing their phones on the 12th... and then post here. I would wait until you read something a little more concrete.

7. hello12 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I will wait until after the 12th, but it is annoying not being able to use LTE. But its not like waiting will stop them from replacing the phone I guess.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If you can wait, then there's definitely no harm in waiting. In fact, I would wait until maybe April 19th or so, as that would give some extra time to let refurbs cycle out.

It's what I plan on doing with mine (I have a dodgy home button). :)

9. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

There's a lot of talks about no hardware change, but only a firmware change regarding this. I am very curious to see what the firmware number will be on the new ip5. The current modem firmware reads 3.04.25.

10. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

I wonder if Apple will actually replace your iPhone 5 with the new AWS i5. If defective.

11. bozzykid macrumors 68020

At some point they will as they are phasing out manufacturing the current A1428. However, older model refurbs may be in stock well past the 12th so it is not clear when that will happen for replacements.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Because Tmobile wasn't a partner network yet back then and didn't write out a huge check payable to Apple Inc. with lots of zeros at the end:D
    Now they did so their bands are supported.

13. Gary500 macrumors regular

Gary500

14. Dwalls90, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013

Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I know :(

But there are other carrier users of AWS non-LTE out there. Just seems like Apple was intentionally being stubborn by keeping AWS turned off :mad:

15. chestvrg macrumors 65816

Yeap they should have sold the AWS band enable from day uno I agree. I'm voting for you on the next elections :)

16. hello12 thread starter macrumors regular

Well since my LTE dosen't work when it says LTE is connected maybe apple will just exchange an unlocked phone for me, and hopefully the unlocked phones starting friday have the AWS enabled

17. bozzykid macrumors 68020

You should wait if you want a replacement to support AWS. I doubt they will be available for several weeks if not longer.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    It might take months for all the replacement stock on all stores to be depleted and restocked with the new devices.

19. hello12 thread starter macrumors regular

Think they'll give me hard time when I go in for a replacement? When my phone says its connected to LTE, it does not work.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You should be fine with getting a replacement.
    Hope you get a good Apple rep, they're not all the same though.
    So if you get one that's unwilling to assist you just thank him and try another time.