Is apple deliberately letting people find a way to unlock the iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johnsingh06, Feb 9, 2008.

1. johnsingh06 macrumors member

hey ppl!:D

uno i was just starting to wonder about apple. Maybe people unlocking there phones wouldn't neccessary be that bad for them, just the complete opposite. The way they make there money is the actual selling of the iphone, not the 18 month contract they have with O2 or At n t. Soooo.. why should they really care about unlocks when they are potentially attracting more customers? i think they always provide some way of unlocking there firmware, its just they have to make it seem harder each time probly as the mobile networks are on the asses about it all the time?:p

what do you people think...Is apple deliberately letting people find a way to unlock the iphone?:confused:

2. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

Doubt it, they actually get a percentage from the monthly line rental fee so if people unlock their phones and don't activate they are losing out

3. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

well if apple was that concerned

why wouldnt you have to activate in store?

4. rfrankl macrumors 6502

I believe when they are ready, they have a way to jam all the hacked iphones. Just like DirecTV finally stopped the hacking of the satellite cards.

5. friedymeister69 macrumors member

Maybe, who knows? It probably isn't cost effective to make it unlockable and that would probably turn off a lot of modders.

6. iPhelim macrumors regular

Yes, there are rumours that Apple get as much as 40% of the iPhone contracts with AT&T.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Agreed.

I think they realize that people who unlock the phones are very unlikely to have become customers of the carriers they have deals with. So they're not missing out on the monthly royalty those owners pay.

Besides, without the unlockers, who make up a fifth or more of the buyers, Apple would not have met their publicized sales goals.

8. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

maybe it is like Stephen King's book...Cell....anyone ever read it