Is Apple doing the throttling LTE on the networks?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tigres, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tigres, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2013

tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Just ran across this story, and was thinking of putting on the carrier update this guy built for AT&T.

Good read, and I think there may be some truth to it. What do others think on this?

From iClarified

end/

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

At what point do we not call it "throttled" and instead call it "the cellular companies have the right to manage their networks?"

If everyone's speed is being held to a similar standard than that's the carrier deciding what their network can handle with the number of users they have. It's their job to determine things like that.

That's not throttling, which is defined as specifically lowering a user's speeds under what they normally get.

It's impossible for everyone to be throttled 24/7. How can the average be lower than average? Then it simply IS the average.

3. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

That just doesn't make sense. I have an iPhone 5 on Verizon and have only very recently had issues with LTE in my area. It was pretty solid when I got the phone in January.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

the headline/title is also misleading. Apple isn't doing this, the carriers are. They define the parameters on how they provision the devices and distribute carrier files with activation. That's not something Apple decides.

If Apple were running their own cellular network, and chose to push carrier files that throttle connections deliberately, then yes, THEN they would be responsible for throttling.

5. maxosx macrumors 68020

It's very difficult to believe anything when it comes to Apple's involvement.

Being the single most influential corporation in the smartphone space, I wouldn't put it past them to take control of any scenario within or outside of Apple Inc.

Never underestimate the power of Apple and it's money.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Right. Make sure your foil hat wasn't made from recycled iPhone 5s. :rolleyes:

I don't understand what the motive is in blaming Apple, except that it's the easiest thing t point fingers at without really looking at what's going on here. Apple would have little motive to hamper hardware they've made and sold, when they can take full advantage of the hardware's capabilities to satisfy those who focus on specs. On the other hand, the wireless carriers have EVERY logical reason for imposing limitations on speeds and frequency usage.

And quite frankly, faster speeds are hard to justify unless and until the carriers rethink their usage cap strategy. On a standard 3GB plan from AT&T/Verizon, even throttled down you'd hit the cap on LTE in mere minutes. And while you can ostensibly download and upload to your heart's content on T-Mobile and Sprint, their generosity stops when it comes to tethering, where speed is REALLY needed. Then you're back to low caps.

Pointing a finger at Apple is counterproductive. The pressure needs to be put on the wireless carriers to invest the billions of dollars they get in income on their networks, instead of pocketing the cash and continuing to run under-supported, bandwidth-constrained networks. Or worse, ditching networks altogether that could be used to help solve the spectrum problem.

7. maxosx macrumors 68020

My foil hat is quite stylish thank you.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I also think its set parameters that are defined and put there by carriers config files.
    Not something that Apple does on purpose but its just the freedom that carriers have to enable and disable features with carrier updates and set speed and many other variables they want to tweak.
    I don't think Apple has anything to gain by slowing down certain carriers customers that use its devices.

9. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I can't speak for every carrier, but if you just glanced at the Q4 report from AT&T you'd know that they have been investing BILLIONS of dollars into their cellular network and plan to invest several billion more over the next five years.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

While I won't make any assumptions about your choice of headwear, I will ask a simple question. What possible motive would Apple have to throttle anyone, ever? They don't own any portion of any network you are going to connect to, except maybe wifi at the Apple store, if we want to get that ridiculously specific. You are right in that they could technically do something like this through their software, but we have no reason to suspect they do. Or, if we are going to assume this, we may as well assume they are also monitoring our every move via the FFC on our phones and are just waiting with enough blackmail evidence against most of the human race to accrue for them to enslave us all.

11. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Why blame Apple and not the carriers? ...That's not a rhetorical question; I'm genuinely curious why the handset manufacturer is being blamed rather than the entities who have a much clearer motivation to do the throttling. And does the same "throttling" not occur with other makes?

Really, this article raises more questions than it answers, not least among them the agenda of the author.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

These companies are damned if they do, damned if they don't. People expect uninterrupted, blazing fast service 24/7. They can have a network hiccuup once in a blue moon, but they are paying for that moment in time and therefore not actually getting what they are paying for. (to be clear, I am not making insinuations about anyone in this thread, just the snetiment of some who can never be happy. We have all seen these people).

I, for one, find AT&T to have developed incredibly over the five years that I have been with them. I honestly think that there are people out there who simply don't understand just what it takes to get a netowkr up and running. They don't get the incredible manpower that is required for maintenance alone.

13. maxosx macrumors 68020

Here's my take on it.

Notice I did not specifically say I believe they were. I merely suggested that it's possible.

And why? That's easy.

Apple is nothing, if not a brilliant company that works very closely with their allies. If a carrier approaches them and makes a request for purposes such as helping them to support more phones on the network by throttling, then it's another opportunity for Apple to be paid handsomely for their ability to fill the carriers request.

There's nothing sinister here, simply business. :)

14. scaredpoet, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

And yet, we still have usage caps that limit a user's monthly data usage to that of less than half of a single-layer DVD-R. Because apparently, the network can't handle it.

----------

Only because that is what carriers advertise. Tell the public that your network is blazing fast and super reliable and works everywhere, and guess what? That's what people expect to get when they hand over their money. Foreign concept, I know, but that's the reality.

Since we're making broad generalizations, I won't go into detail regarding my background, except to say that I have seen a good deal, enough that I have a generally good idea as to what the big two carriers like to spend their billions on, and what they would rather not spend their billions on.

I will gladly give kudos to AT&T for they things they do right. The AT&T of 2013 is immensely better than the AT&T of 2007, or even 2010 for that matter. Although I have the ability to choose any carrier I wish, AT&T has compelling factors that keep me on them rather than porting out to other carriers, something I did on a frequent basis prior to the iPhone era. But their policy restrictions, how customers are treated and billed, and stance regarding how much a user should pay in relation to what they use is not in any way correlating to anything but profit motives.

As such, I don't feel it's in any way inappropriate for a user to gripe about these restrictive practices, nor is it inappropriate for people to expose the methods by which carriers make the restrictions a reality.

And that said, I STILL think that blaming Apple is counterproductuve in this situation. Apple does shady things, but this one is squarely a carrier thing.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Pretty much all advertisement has to be taken with a grain of salt. It's tough for a network provider to make an ad that will truly let you know how their service is to work on a device that is truly mobile, such as the phones we speak of, no matter where you go with it. But yes, there are idiots that that will expect such service, and they are the same idiots who believe that you can get a gourmet hamburger from McDonald's too, just based on the ads. I'm lovin' it!

----------

Who is making broad generalizations? And for that matter, who said people don't have the right to complain? Complain about whatever you want, man. It's no skin off my back. I made a comment that I felt AT&T has gotten much better over the years. Apparently, you agree, but added a bunch more to your post that seems a bit irrelevant, when quoting me directly.

----------

This is their PR reasoning. It sounds better than "because we can charge you more, the more you actually use". My opinion, anyway.

16. Sparticu$ macrumors member

I don't know about you but I'm fine with my LTE speeds, and I'm on verizon. There is no need for any more, it's not like I'm running a server off of my iphone lol.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

17. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I am pretty sure you missed the point of the thread.

18. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Isn't this whole thread one broad generalization? :)

I didn't accuse you of saying that, so, chill. I was just stating that there's plenty of good, but plenty of bad going on with carrier motives... which by the way, is the whole point of this thread: what carriers are doing to throttle iOS users on their networks.

19. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

When you directly quote a person in a thread, it is generally safe to expect that your response is a direct response to what that person said (specifically a response to the quoted text). Not upset, no need to chill, just responding in kind.

20. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

21. tigres thread starter macrumors 68040

tigres

If I may...

Did all of you read the original article? (the quote I posted cut some of the portion of the article out).

The author claims that the carrier file is set to a lower LTE setting (Category 10) on AT&T for example (capped at 14.4mbps), vs his tweak which opens the 21.1Mbps (Category 14).

I have no knowledge of these technical terms, or what exactly they are indicating other than what the author of the settings tweak is explaining.

Lastly, what is the exact purpose of the devs. tweaked bundle if anything he claims is not true. As I too am suspect on Apple being in charge like the article states.

22. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Major issues here with Verizon. Speeds have been very slow for the last 3 months or longer. The only times I consistently will get over 10mbps now is before 6:00am or after 8:00pm. Before it was 24/7. My average speeds now around like 4-6 down and 1-3 up. 30% of the time I barely reach 3mbps down now.

I have unlimited and use anywhere from 10-15gb on average. Called Verizon about it today and they said they have no way to check if I am being throttled. I am sure once I port over to my AT&T iPhone 5 I just got a couple days ago and cancel they will try to so something about it. I did update the carrier with the hacked settings and that did nothing also

23. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

This is ridiculous to even claim. Why would Apple need to throttle their own devices?

I used to hit 50mbps+ on my iPhone5 regularly (not anymore because it's on TMo now)

Just because the dev tinkered with some settings doesn't mean they're being throttled. There are plenty of reports of diff't APN settings giving users different data speeds. It all depends on the proxy it is being routed through. One could be rate limited, whereas another one isn't.

24. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'm not sure why except that he wants people to download his tweak. Many people have been posting speedtest of their ATT LTE connections and they showed considerably higher speeds then what he claims the cap is at.

Possibly, the carriers are trying to manage their network bandwidth so are capping them during very high network usage times.

25. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

and AT&T doesn't have HSPA 21 deployed in all areas, so his tweaks really don't mean much.

Every carrier runs some sort of QoS algorithm, but to claim that it is permanently throttled is ridiculous, especially with all the speed tests on this site showing 50+ mbps speeds on VZW/AT&T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.