Is Apple getting away from the X, Xs, X, Xs tick-tock upgrade cycle?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, Apr 17, 2016.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

Intel announced recently that they are getting away from the tick-tock upgrade cycle of their processors.

With all the rumors about the 2017 iPhone having a radically new design, will next year mark the end of the number-numberS, number-numberS iPhone upgrade cycle? I have a feeling this year's phone will still be the iPhone 7, but starting next year Apple will do away with the number completely. Just think of how ridiculous iPhone 10, iPhone 13 etc. will sound. But then again you may need to highlight the number to force people to upgrade. Just calling everything an iPhone or iPhone Plus or iPhone SE may not work either. I am very curious to see how Apple decides to deal with this as they head toward double digit numbers.

2. kevink2 macrumors 65816

The s variants allowed Apple to slow the number creep. But Apple seems to like to change numbering schemes on occasion. At least on other models.
    iPad. iPad 2. iPad 3, 4, then Air, Air 2, now Pro.
    At least not like Microsoft. Version numbers. Then years. Then letters. Then Vista. Then 7. 8. 8.1. 10

3. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

I think so. Samsung ran with the whole "S" thing and now has it so that their current flagship appears to be a higher generation than the iPhone (i.e. S7 vs 6s, or potentially next year S8 vs 7). I'm not a marketing genius but that seems problematic.