Is Apple going out of their way to cripple Siri?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by iBlazed, Jan 6, 2015.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

One of the very few things I use Siri for because it's one of the only things she does well consistently is make phone calls, especially when driving. I would say "Call dad", and Siri would simply reply, "Calling Dad". As of a couple of days ago, Siri feels the need to confirm every single time I ask her to call someone. Why are they adding extra steps to process a commands? One of the few commands that works correctly 99% of the time.

Attached Files:

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I actually like the confirmation. At times I have 2 contacts that sound similar so she would call the wrong person.

I would hardly call saying "yes" to confirm a call crippling.

3. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

To me, anything that puts more steps in the way to getting something done is crippling. Especially when I rarely had any errors with it before. The more steps a voice assistant requires you to take, the longer it takes to get a function done and the more likely you are to just do it manually.

4. Alphabetize macrumors 6502

Alphabetize

I think Siri got worse in iOS 8.

I will ask Siri to play a certain song, like, "Play Hotel California." and Siri will say, "Playing Hotel California." but it will either:
    1. Play a random song.
    2. Play continue playing the song I was already playing.

This happened on the first iOS 8 beta and it still hasn't been resolved. Tried on two different iPhones running iOS 8. Tried one on iOS 7 and it works fine.

5. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yes, I noticed this too. And it happens rather frequently. Apple better get their s*** together because I'm really beginning to get pissed off at their software quality.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I agree extra steps aren't always a good thing but in this case the change actually benefits people like me who have contacts whose names are so similar.

7. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

Unless he has somebody named Dan in his contacts I'm not sure if anyone else would have a name close enough to warrant this though. If it asks every time that would definitely be annoying. If I had an assistant that asked me a question every time I asked them to do something that assistant wouldn't last very long.

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I can't confirm, but I remember the command "play the new Coldplay album" would indeed play the newest Coldplay album I had on the device (at least on iOS6 or iOS7). Or, "play the Coldplay album Ghost Stories" would indeed play that album. I am not sure when these commands stopped working, but they now produce some nonsense result, like playing all Coldplay on shuffle or something, even though that album is on the device with all correct metadata.

9. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

EXACTLY!! Nevermind dad, sometimes I ask it to dial a very specific first and last name, such as "Alice Matthews", there is no one in my contacts with a name at all similar to that and it still asks for confirmation. If it's going to do that, it should at least be smarter about and only ask for confirmation when you have similar names and it doesn't understand which one you're trying to call.

10. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You need to consider that not everyone has American/English names in their address book. Some of my contacts do not have English names and Siri screws up sometimes and calls someone else instead.

11. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

This doesn't matter and has no bearing on this discussion. If the names are phonetically similar then it would ask. In this case there is no one in the OP's contacts that are phonetically similar, it's asking just to ask.

If it's so unreliable that it can't even get close then they should work on that rather than confirmations.

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

There is no right or wrong here. It's just preference. I prefer the confirmation.

13. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Then why not make it a selectable option?
    No wait! That actually is a make sense suggestion ..... :eek:

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It's Apple. too many options = confuse the average person.

15. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I am well into my 60's and LOVE Hotel California. I started to play a Jazz Song from a separate playlist, then asked Siri to play "Play Song Hotel California". No problem.

Not sure why some have issues. But, it is, in some cases, how you word it. :):apple:

16. Tommo66 macrumors newbie

You mention you are in the car, are you using 'Hey Siri' to activate it. If you do it assumes you might not be looking at the screen and asks for confirmation in case of error.

I've never had the issue when activating Siri holding the Home button.

17. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

This doesn't only happen in the car. It always does it now.

18. sbailey4, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015

sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Not really. In the past it would ask "Do you want Bubba or Dubba?" if there were similar. Even "which number for Suzie?" if you had two in there. That I can see, but "Call Dad?" Not sure how you could even add 2 relatives in your profile both dad. Never considered trying it tho. I would think if you did it would ask "Which dad?" not ask if you want to call Dad (since you JUST said you did)

For the record mine does not have this issue. Siri on iP6 is fast and seems better than ever to me.

19. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Siri does not understand everything you say all the time. There have been situations in which I've said something like "Call my sister" and she's responded with "calling Richard".

20. vexorg macrumors 6502a

21. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

The funny thing is that for me, Siri asks for confirmation only when I tell it to "call Home", but not for other commands like "Call John". I am curious as to when Siri decides to ask for confirmation and when it deems it appropriate to just go ahead with the command?

22. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

Maybe it wants to know if you mean call apple (the phones home) or your home !

What happens if you say : ET, phone home ? Lol

23. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Same exact thing. It's nice having a phone for each platform for comparison. :D

Attached Files:

24. eastamherstbias macrumors 6502

Yep only recently it started doing this. It is adding extra steps when they are not needed. I have noticed it getting stupider with understanding words.

"Call Work"
    "There is No Work"

"Call Work"
    "Would You Like To Call Work?"

25. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I have this album. Asked Siri to play it and she told me I had to unlock the phone first. I did and it brought up the album and I had to actually press play to get it started.