Is Apple going to announce iOS 4.1 Gold Master on September 1st?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by celticpride678, Aug 27, 2010.

1. celticpride678

Apple hasn't seeded a new build of iOS 4.1 to developers for almost a month now. What do you think? Have they wrapped up development of iOS 4.1 and will be releasing it on September 1st? Or will they announce the iOS 4.1 GM at the event and continue development?

I think that they will be announcing the GM and will then release it when the new iPod touch ships.

2. shandyman Suspended

will they actually do gold master for it? don't remember them doing it for 3.1. thought gold master was just for the initial version, like 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0... would think they'd go straight to release version.

3. WilliamG macrumors 604

I'd say it's VERY likely. As I mentioned somewhere else in this forum, Apple are the Kings of Spin. They can release the iPhone 4 to fanfare, and then at a later date release an update to make it work.... again to much fanfare.

So yes, expect iOS 4.1 next week.

4. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

No they didn't with iOS 3.1, but with all the issues, maybe they will :confused:

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

4.1 is in beta 3 isn't it? so wouldn't the first beta be considered the GM since it was the first developers build of it? If what you are referring is if they are gonna announce the release of 4.1 to the public for use, then yes most probably with the new ipod touch announcement.... I think they have done only a maximum of 3 betas before releasing the final public version of it.

6. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

GM stands for Gold Master. Gold Master means the build that will be the final build when the OS gets released publicly, but is for developers to test their apps. The first beta was not the GM.

7. shandyman Suspended

gold master is the final build which the developers get for a few weeks before the public get, usually to final test they're apps on the new OS to make sure they work, GM is usually is the build that becomes public release, save a couple of small tweaks.

and i think 4.0 had 4 betas....

edit, damn i was too slow replying!! lol

8. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

So far they haven't given us the GM usually they give it to us on a weekly basis. But they don't have to so maby, I'm personally hoping for a beta to be released ro iOS 4 for iPad.

9. shandyman Suspended

haven't given the GM they give on a weekly basis? guessing you meant beta? :) usually the last beta have a few week gap before it gets gold master, but like i said, i doubt 4.1 will get a gold master, will go from beta to release, like 3.1.

would have thought they would have done beta's for 4.1 for ipad though! am guessing ipad will go straight to 4.1 rather than being 4.0

10. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I never heard of a GM released for a 0.x update. They usually just release it. The only reason why I could see them doing a GM (for the "fanfare" of it) is if containly significant changes (and correction of all Apple's screw-ups don't count as they'll likely not want to draw more publicity to them). All past 0.x updates, especially all 3.x updates, we so minor they never warranted a GM. What, are they going to release a GM for a new calculator app icon?

They very well may release the SDK (and first beta) for iOS 4.x for iPad.

11. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Ahh I understand now thanks!!! For me it confused me since I knew it was different than the normal GM=RTM build of music and thought maybe it was like that, so if I understand correctly the :apple:GM build is the last build for devs but usually is not the RTM version due to last minute changes! and once more you are correct, 4.0 had 4 betas! Thanks for the explanations!

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

13. shandyman Suspended

to be honest, i'm expecting a universal release for 4.1 for iphone, ipod touch and ipad, makes sense for the event that its a universal thing, get game center on them all too, as i expect game center will be released with 4.1 like iBooks was with 4.0 for iPhone and iPod Touch. means all iOS devices will be aligned again with the features.

14. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Apple has to release beta for the iPad - how will developers test their products?

15. WilliamG macrumors 604

The same way they did before the iPad even came out. 4.0 is not exactly revolutionary, especially since they have a lot of development done and tested on the iPhones etc.

16. shandyman Suspended

well really all that 4.1 will add for the iPad is multitasking, so any existing apps just need the additional coding updating, and since most devs will have that code from the iOS 4.0 coding, woulda thought it's not gonna be that much of an issue. does anyone know if the betas for 4.1 included beta for iPad?

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I have a feeling the current beta build IS the GM.

18. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

A lot of developers develop iPad-only apps. iOS 4.1 will not only add multitasking, do some research.

Apple wouldn't release iOS 4.1 for the iPad without allowing developers at least a week to test their apps and update them for multitasking.

19. admanimal macrumors 68040

We had a beta of iPhone OS 3.2 and the iPad simulator to test apps on before the iPad was released. There needs to be a beta of whatever the iPad's iOS 4 version is for at least a month before the final version is released to the public. iOS 4 for iPad will absolutely include some iPad-specific features beyond just multitasking and the other stuff we already got in iOS 4 for the iPhone. The iOS 4.1 betas don't include a version of iOS 4 for the iPad.

20. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

No the gm had game centre in it if you remember then it went public and it was removed.

What I want is the gm for ios4.0 on the iPad. I think it's going to be something special!

21. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The current beta build HAS game center on it.;)

22. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Well, now it's definitely gonna happen.:D

23. shandyman Suspended

it was removed as it wasn't due to be released until the fall, but it was in the betas so it could be tested until then.

i don't want the GM, i just want the public release, they're seperate things really...