Is Apple locating our phones via "find my phone"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richard371, Oct 18, 2012.

1. richard371 macrumors 68000

I have find my phone enabled but never access it. Often I see the GPS icon light up and when I go into settings/privacy/location services I show the little icon next to find my phone showing it is currently being located or has in the past 24 hours. I am not doing this nor does anyone have my password. Anyone else noticing this?

2. dave420 macrumors 65816

Nope, haven't noticed it. I do check though. You may want to update your password.

3. polo221 macrumors newbie

I often see the Location Services icon show, but that's because I use Passbook and have reminders that are geo-fenced. Some Passbook-enabled apps, such as the Starbucks app, will look for the geofence for your favorite Starbucks store, so that it can post a reminder on your lock screen.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you go into Settings > iCloud, is "Find my iPhone" set to be on or off?

5. dave420 macrumors 65816

The original poster was saying they are going into the privacy menu and then opening up the location services option. That shows which app used the location services in the last 24 hours. He is seeing a mark next to Find my iPhone even though he hasn't used it.

6. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

no that means that it was searching for your phone to show your location.

Why does everything think everything is an invasion of privacy now.

7. Pepsidude macrumors newbie

Yup and they are watching you via the FaceTime camera!!! Lol

8. dave420 macrumors 65816

I don't see the icon next to Find my iPhone on my phone because I haven't used it in the past 24 hours. If your phone is showing that someone has viewed your location and it wasn't you, then you would have a reason to be concerned.

9. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Trust me Apple has no reason to track your location. The app "Saga" also tracks locations without it being started up.

10. luqtotheman macrumors regular

doubt it and trust me if they want to track you down they won't need the find my iphone feature to do so.

11. dave420 macrumors 65816

My initial response was that someone else might have his password and be tracking his phone. As far as I know that icon only appears on Find my iPhone in Settings when it has been used to track your phone in the last 24 hours. There might be other cases as well if anyone wants to add to that.

12. h4cky0u macrumors member

What difference does it make? They aren't paparazzi who care about your every move. Yes, they CAN track where you are and so can many apps that you allow to use or share your location. The only intention these apps do this is to help them help you with how you interact or shop.

13. richard371 thread starter macrumors 68000

It is on. No one has my password. I'm just curious hwy it is being used. Maybe iCloud updates it?

14. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

As someone stated earlier, it is your phone searching for its location. It will do this occasionally (will not be successful if Location Services for Find My iPhone is turned off).

15. dave420 macrumors 65816

That isn't what he is saying. The icon he is seeing is not normal if you aren't accessing Find My iPhone. I have attached a screenshot just so it is clear. If you are seeing that icon and not accessing Find my iPhone of Find my Friends then you should change your password and see if it goes away. Noone has said they are seeing that icon if they aren't accessing Find My iPhone.

Attached Files:

16. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

No that's exactly how I understood it and how I was answering his question. It will occasionally update or try to depending on location services being on or off. It just may try right when you're looking at it in prefrences, and if you have it Off you have no worries :)

17. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I'm sure he isn't important enough for someone to hack his apple ID when he never even launched find my iPhone. I have that icon too and im pretty sure no one cares where I am. It could also mean someone might be using find my friends