Is Apple losing their touch of customer service? Very disappointing experience...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DougFNJ, Oct 20, 2011.

1. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Unfortunately I received an iPhone 4S with the yellow tint/washed out issue. It is bad enough and a dark enough tint that dark areas with white letters are almost unreadable. I went to an Apple Store Tuesday night on my travels to see if they could help me. The genius gal took my phone in the back, checked it against her own, said she definitely saw it, but it was "within spec". She said another tech told her to tell me one of the screen layers was probably still curing, give it another couple days....she was pretty much done.

The issue hasnt changed even a little, and for a phone that is basically all display, and that display being touted so high for its crispness and detail, I set another appointment at my local store and had a hell of an experience today. I went there at around 11:30. The guy definitely saw the yellow tint, and agreed the washed out look was abnormal, he switched it out. The signal would not connect, he told me to give it 10-15 minutes. I was very happy, the screen was PERFECT. Unfortunately 20 minutes went by, it still wouldnt connect. The guy that told me to come back if it didnt connect was on lunch when i went back in, another tech tried to help. We went to the Verizon store. Unfortunately, because I am not the owner of the account, they couldn't help me move my # from one phone to the next and couldn't get in touch with my boss to give me permission. So mistake on my part, I went to work with the non working phone.

After getting permission from my boss, we went through the process of trying to get it connected. After giving Verizon the IMEI number, they didn't see it in their system and said it was not a Verizon phone. Looking in the settings, indeed, it was Vodafone. After going back and forth between Verizon and long hold times with Apple, both blaming each other, I got both on the phone together saying there was nothing they could do, I would have to bring the phone back to the store and swap it for a Verizon.

So I trot back over to the store, wait 40 minutes to speak to a manager because the geniuses were busy. I have to explain it all over again, he doesn't understand what's wrong. He says he has to do a system test, another half hour later a tech comes out and says it wouldn't connect because it was a Sprint phone. Then he says he is waiting on manager approval to get me a Verizon phone.....20 more minutes later, the manager comes out and says they don't have it in stock, hands me a piece of paper and says they will call me when it comes in, hands me back the phone I brought in originally, turns around and goes back into the back room, no apology, just dismissive.

There were different settings on the phone, so I figured I would restore it from a backup this morning, and it said it was restoring a backup on another device. WTF???? So I call the store, get put on hold for 10 minutes, tell them I want them to find the Sprint phone they took back, erase, restore, and turn it off, the rep didn't understand this simple request, asked me why I returned it, and has me going over the story yet again. He proceeds to tell me they do have a 64 GB Verizon unit in stock, I can drop by to switch it out. They are a 20 minute drive, I figured, let me finish the night on a high note, I had to go pick some stuff up for a party tomorrow anyway.

I go to the store, the guy that takes my name knows why I'm there and has me take a seat, they are waiting on the tech to help me. 20 minutes later, she asked me where I bought it, I tell her apple.com. She says ok, I'll be just another minute. Another guy comes out with a brand new 64gb Verizon phone, says he'll be with me in a minute as relief settles over me thinking this is finally going to get resolved.

15 more minutes another manager comes out, introduces himself and says there was a miscommunication, they didn't have a replacement unit for me. This is ANOTHER hour of wasted time. Going back and forth on why he would place a unit in front of me and take it away is unacceptable. he was apologetic, but refused to break as they have done so often in the past. He said they would find a store close by tomorrow to try to get me another phone quick, but he couldn't help me in the store because I bought the phone online and there is nothing he could do.

This is not the service I have been accustomed to from Apple. They sent me a survey asking me about my opinion from the phone call earlier, and I noted the entire incident.

I love Apple products. In the past they have gone out of their way to satisfy. One bad day will not have me converting back to Windows and Android anytime soon, but this very bad wasted day due to horrible communication and service definitely left a very sour taste in my mouth. I have been finding the phone service getting worse over the last few months, and have always counted on the techs at the stores to come through where phone support falls short. I really hope this just turns out to be one bad incident and that they make it right. Sorry for the book, but I figured who else could I vent to?

2. BeSerious macrumors member

Who's gonna read that. Shuck it down to like 6 lines.

3. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

TLDR: He has a yellow iPhone 4s screen, the first time he went to apple genius bar they denied his exchange, said to wait until the screen cures. The 2nd time they didn't have any replacement units for him. Now he has to go back a 3rd time.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

If you yammered on like that at the Apple store, it's no wonder you got bad service.

5. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Me. I read it.

I'm sorry OP, I've had terrible experiences at the Apple stores too. But the good ones have outweighed the negative ones.

6. apple3g040193 macrumors 6502

apple3g040193

i read that whole thing and i have nothing else to say but wow just wow. good luck.

7. DougFNJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

For the hours spent trying to get this rectified, this is condensed, like I said....just venting.

I really appreciate the support,

and of course the typical snot comment by mcdj who always offers the polite positive insight.

8. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

Thanks, I lost interest by the fourth paragraph

9. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I read it.

I've had a bad experience at an Apple Store as well. Back when I took my replacement 3G in because the side chrome bezel was sticking up. The one apple store I went to said it was in spec (yeah ok) and I told him that the one I exchanged didn't have the problem so why do I have to live with it now and he wouldn't budge. So I went to a different Apple Store and they swapped it out for me without any explanation.

I think it boils down to what kind a-holes are working that night. Some stores have nice people others have mean ones. Looks like you ran into 2 stores with stubborn "geniuses".

Or it might be the Tim Cook effect causing a downfall in the company. Steve Jobs please come back.

10. Russiaone macrumors 6502

Read the entire thing- good read, too. Terrible this happened to you, though. Least you have your health.

In other news, I've only had real issues with Apple when it comes to app refunds. Oh, and they gave me another iPhone 4 with Home button issues.

Good luck in your endeavour tomorrow, though.:)

11. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I read it.....

I'd email it to apple and ask them what is up.

And, I realize that it is post-launch week, but gee, you don't deserve to be beat up over getting a working phone either.

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Sorry man but NO ONE here is so interested in your Apple adventure enough to read through what could have been just a few sentences. You flatter yourself to think otherwise!

13. WytRaven macrumors 6502

How about you develop some intellect and an attention span?

@OP: I certainly hope your situation is a blip on an otherwise clear radar.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that people seem to return Apple products on a whim, in fact they seem to buy them and then hunt for something wrong if these forums are any indication. Do these same people do this if they were to by some cheap plastic PC?

I just wonder if this trend is starting to wear thin on Apple, as it has got to cost them a lot to be swapping phones or iPads or desktops on a regular basis because someone thinks their backlight might be bleeding a little or some such other thing they went hunting for. I am not suggesting your compliant isn't real, just that perhaps you are suffering the inevitable outcome of too many others crying "wolf".

14. wpotere Guest

Wrong... I read it, people are just being lazy.

Sorry you had this issue OP but I do agree that their service is slipping. This is not the first time that I have seen or heard people being simply dismissed by Apple employees. Hopefully you will get it sorted soon.

15. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Some of us actually came to the forum to read good, well put together posts, thank you for making one. Don't listen to some people who apparently are not capable of reading more then a few lines.

That sucks. I have to imagine this is more of an isolated incident though then the new normal for support. It sounds like the first guy just made a mistake and it spiraled out of control after that. If they had had the correct phone you probably would have been ok.

Hopefully they get it resolved for you soon!

16. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I can't tell if your post was meant to be funny or not, but it didn't sound like it, and I keep reading stuff like this from people. I'm sure Tim personally hired every single Apple Store employee. What is it with the snide comments directed towards people that are in no way involved with this? Steve passed away, someone else took over. Give the guy a chance, and don't blame every bad Apple Store interaction on him.

The OP had a bad experience. It happens from time to time. It's still the exception, not the rule.

17. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Basically you're upset because Apple couldn't help you because they were following the rules.

Sucks you're having issues but if you buy it from a.co, you must ship it back to get your replacement.

This quote for me is very telling "he was apologetic, but refused to break as they have done so often in the past." So in the past they went above and beyond to help you by "breaking" aka doing something for you they didn't have to do....... and now you want to take advantage of their good will because they "broke" in the past and did what you wanted?
    Sorry you're having problems but sometimes you just won't get your way.

18. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

I read it, because the Reader feature in Safari is for just this sort of thing... :p

That is really lousy though. Keep complaining until they get everything right for you. Call and complain, explain how much time you've lost to this and how disappointed you are with your experience.

19. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

OP. sorry for your experience. I am certain it will be sorted, in fact when you go in ask for the District manager's email and phone number. That will gain some attention.

Lastly, what is it lately with members of these boards being so blatantly rude and condescending to others? Mostly children I suspect, but nonetheless so tired of sifting through the crap to see the good stuff. OP follow up and let us know the outcome.

Good luck

20. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Having been to my local Apple store on 5 or 6 occasions, I can happily say that I have never had a bad experience. The Genius folks have always been friendly and helpful.

Perhaps my behavior has had some positive effect. I'm polite, provide as much information as I can to facilitate the process (even though I'm a complete techno-boob, I do the best I can), and enjoy joking with the tech - which they seem to enjoy. Consumer attitude matters!

Three days ago I brought in my iPhone four with a problem with the Location mode in Reminders. They did a wipe, a clean re-install, and asked my to try it out. No luck - it still didn't work. About an hour after my first visit, I made another appointment for the Genius Bar. When I came in, one of the two techs with whom I had been working beckoned me to the desk (no waiting) and when I told him the Location mode was still not working, immediately replaced my phone. He took care of all re-installation of data and apps, re-activated the phone with my carrier, and with a smile and a handshake sent me happily on my way.

All of my experiences have been similar. While there are, I'm sure, some difficult and unpleasant techs out there - coming in with a friendly attitude likely makes a difference.:D

21. dawgfang macrumors member

Thank you Turd.

22. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Ok, I read it. If it were me, I'd get on the phone with Apple directly, not a store, but Apple proper. Tell the first person you speak to that you've told your story too many times to go through it again and you want to speak to a second level supervisor. Give the supervisor the cliffs notes version and emphasize how much time you've spent dealing with this. My experience is that you will get satisfaction this way.

23. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Is that the first chapter of your novel? Can we get the Reader's Digest version?

24. DougFNJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Thank you again for the support replied (Those who did) and that includes you too MCDJ for the helpful feedback. I am glad some people appreciate details and not just a quick Apple sucks post.

I do want to say I was polite all the way through until the end last night, I was also joking around while waiting, at some point I asked if this was REALLY a bar. ;) I didn't become one of those obnoxious people making a scene and screaming, but at the end he did get the full understanding that I was NOT happy, there is a way to speak your mind without having to let everyone in the world know it.

I got a call a couple minutes ago that they now have one for me and put it aside. I will be going there on my lunch and crossing my fingers that resolution will finally occur.

*Is that short enough? ;)