Is Apple Planting The Seeds Of Its Own Decline?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MJD Dawg, Oct 18, 2012.

1. MJD Dawg macrumors 6502

Junction of the Pacific, Juan de Fuca & NA Plates
  2. Bahroo macrumors 68000

No, production has slowed down at Foxxconn because Apple has raised the QC there, so QC on iPhone 5's is going up

3. SA Spyder macrumors regular

People seem to forget the antenna issues with the iPhone 4 and how:
    - Steve was still present
    - it was an irreparable hardware issue that affected every single one
    - Apple denied it like children and compared it with other phones as if it's acceptable
    - back then, people also predicted the end of Apple

Stop being so anxious. These guys mess up a lot but its usually worth it in the long run as their mistakes prove to be learning experiences.

4. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

There were a share of blunders in earlier days too. Its just that Apple was not the " Largest company in the World" back then, so now everything is magnified. Everyone is gunning for them, pundits, short sellers, competitors, patent trolls, companies wanting settlements you name it.

5. scaredpoet, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The author spends a lot of time fantasizing about how a board of directors meeting at Apple should go, in his opinion. But, he's not a director. He's a disgruntled user with an outsize sense of entitlement, who feels that Apple personally owes him something.

Apparently, he's a correspondent for The Wall Street Journal, but evidently WSJ didn't want this piece. So he had to get it "published" on some also-ran wired.com wannabe site.

I have three words for this guy: Over Five Million.

And this author is glossing over everything recent towards the end of Steve Jobs' life. No, Steve didn't "learn." Mobile Me was a fiasco; I know, I'm one of the initial users who stuck through it. The iPhone almost never had an app store, because Steve thought HTML5 web apps would be enough. And never including Flash, which I do agree was the right thing to do, was a HUGE gamble would could've easily gone the wrong way and spelled iOS' demise as a significant force in the mobile market.

And lets not forget WHY Apple went its own way with Maps: because Steve felt that Google betrayed him, and he wanted to avoid depending on his "enemy" for anything. In-house Maps has Steve Jobs' personal vendetta written all over it. The conception, the hiring of the talent, and the development all began and progressed significantly while Steve was alive and in control of the company.

With the momentum there and the Google-Apple relationship already being what it was, Cook pretty much has had to see it through. Arguably yes, he should've waited a year. But this isn't entirely on Cook's plate.

Yet all of these things are never mentioned. It's just more of the same elevating-Steve-to-sainthood BS that whitewashes the Steve-era Apple into perfection, and exaggerates the post-Steve, Tim Cook-era Apple a this floundering entity. Both of which are outright false.

6. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

7. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Apple jumped the shark when Steve Jobs died.

8. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Was the antenna issue only with the IP4 with AT&T? When Apple released IP4 with VZW I had zero issues with the antenna...

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You can plant the seeds of someone else's demise.

----------

I thought the Verizon got the 4S, which had the redesigned antenna.

10. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

no...

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Weird.

All I know is that my 4S didn't suffer fromt he same issue my 4 did. Both were on AT&T so maybe there was a difference in the CDMA antenna. The again, Apple may have quietly fixed the issue in later 4s so by the time VZW got the 4 the issue was resolved. The 4 I returned was an early one.

12. darster Suspended

Just about electronics company over time evolves into something else away from consumer goods. Westingouse did. IBM did. GE did. Only to be replaced by panasonic, Apple, Samsung, and so on. Eventually those companies will morph more into industrial goods, while new companies come along with fresher ideas. It may take another 50 years. In 50 years Apple will be vastly different. Probably bigger, but more diverse.

13. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Apple released IP4 to VZW customer on Feb. 2011. No antenna issues what so ever..

14. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

but ultimately it is your own fault for not overcoming it.. you reap what you sow. so even if someone tries to thwart you.. you still plant your own seeds..

and the 4S did have a different antenna system.. idk why people are saying othewise. The 4 didnt.. but you said 4S

15. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

While people may not be standing in line anymore for the iPhone 23, The iPhone will still have its place in the world 20 years from now, IMO. Just like how Mac and Windows can co-exist just fine.

16. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

17. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

In regards to the subject of this thread.. I think IP5 is nice... but I also think the aluminum casing was a mistake. I think they should have stuck with the Stainless steel used on IP4 or a better more durable aluminum material.

18. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

It didn't affect me my iPhone 4. it was overblown bullcrap, in my humble opinion.

19. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i agree. never had an issue.. never knew anyone with an issue. only issue i had was ATT dropping my calls.
    iphone 5 on verizon fixed that

20. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I had iPhone 4 from day one with ATT and had no issues with the antenna. It was overblown.

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If someone plants the seeds and you don't overcome them, you are not planting your own seeds, you are allowing them the grow.

I know the 4S had a different design, but I'm speculating that Apple either fixed the issue by the time VZW got the 4, or there was a slight difference with the CDMA antenna.

It might have been overblown, but it did affect mine.

22. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

so if samsung decides to take apple down.. "makes the best phone ever".. apple has no chance at choosing its own fate? i personally think you can choose whatever choices you want despite if someone is trying to "plant seeds" in the end.. you choose how you overcome it. whether it be short coming, or surpassing.

yeah i know what you mean.. with the cdma.. though i think thats just cdma being superior at maintaining a constant signal as to gsm has allways had more dropped calls for me.

23. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Apple planting seeds? No no seeds..... Computers and phones and music players, No seeds.

Your thinking of some agricultural company.