Is Apple starting to suck? Should I lower my expectations for the next iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iAppleseed, Mar 29, 2012.

1. iAppleseed, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

iAppleseed macrumors regular

I've been thinking of Apple for a while. I just thought of something. Maybe Apple is starting to suck. I mean, the "new" iPad is disappointing (Take the retina display off and what are we left with?) and the iPhone 4S (I mean really. It's just a camera, speed bump and a useless voice recognition app) and the Final Cut Pro X (That is much less powerful), the upcoming Mountain Lion (Which claims to be a "New" OS but is really just a bunch of apps), the Apple TV (A dumped UI), and the white iPod touch (Apple got lazy and just introduced a white model).

Do you think it's time to lower our Apple product release standards?

It could be just another disappointing speed bump and battery life increase.
    Some of you may say I am an Apple hater. I am not. I am an apple lover. I just can't take this new Apple anymore.
    Is Apple really dead without Steve Jobs?

What can you say?

2. ap3604, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  3. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

The new iPad may have been disappointing to you but not for the millions of others who bought one and aren't here complaining about it.

4. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I agree with this, I don't understand some consumers' thinking. Technology can only progress but so far every year, so to think that every time Apple updates a product it's going to be mindblowing is assanine. I think the retina display in the new iPad is amazing, it's the most brilliant screen on the market right now. I think people should not lower their expectations but just make them more realistic. Apple can only progress as far as current technology allows.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Yes. It would make MacRumors a much more enjoyable place (again).

You are seeing a maturing of a platform.

The original iPhone/iOS was revolutionary.
    The App Store/opening up iOS to developers was revolutionary.
    The iPad 1 was revolutionary.

What has come subsequently has been evolutionary. Look at the automobile. There have been modifications (many significant) over the years, but essentially we are driving the same 4 wheeled carriage with an internal combution engine from 100 years ago. You need to accept that for the forseeable future, you will have improved specs, but essetially the same hardware.

6. clborden macrumors regular

clborden

Well, Mr. iAppleseed...if you're looking for design changes every other month, maybe Andriod can fulfill your every desire. You could "poo-poo" every launch and say "increased speed, better display, and new design? Well without those things, what did we get?". If you want more, looking else where would probably make sense. No?

On top of that, but the fact that my AT&T 4S barely drops a call compared to my old i4, that was worth the upgrade in spades. Let alone the other goodies. I don't know...I just don't think it's as bad as you say.

7. ap3604, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  8. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Wait until the new Apple TV is released (and by that I mean a complete TV, not the current set-top box)

It'll have something game-changing like:
    • Micro payments per show (so you only pay for what you want)
    • Voice activated remote control ("Siri - suggest something I might like that's on right now?)
    • Always-on face recognition: It continuously monitors who's present in the room and changes channels/volume/color settings to suit their preferences.
    • Other game-changing stuff nobody's imagined yet.
    • Or a whole new game

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Is this a good thread?

I mean, I thought it was good, but then if you take out the part about the iPad it's not nearly as good. And then if you take out the part about the iPhone it really has no point at all.

So although it looks like there were some thoughts here, if you take them away you realize there actually aren't any.

10. iAppleseed, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

iAppleseed thread starter macrumors regular

It's not that I want a redesign every year. Even I wouldn't want that. I just wanted to see something revolutionary and amazing. Such as the FaceTime and the other cool stuff in the iPhone 4, The new iMovie Trailers on the iLife '11, The camera on the iPod touch. Things that doesn't make me want to say "THAT'S IT?!". Things that make me shocked and want to rush into the Apple store and grab it as soon as possible.

Apple doesn't make these things anymore. Maybe they do them sometimes, not as much as they used to. It started to get boring. I end up disappointed in every new keynote. Just plain bored.

I would be amazed if Apple made the iPod touch 3G. If they made the Final Cut Pro X easy to use but still professional. Or if the iPhone could be the storage of your credit card - you could use it to pay your bills. Something revolutionary and unexpected.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

They never did this.

You are apparently looking at 30 years of Apple products and imagining that it all happened in 7 years, I guess.

Nothing has changed.

12. iAppleseed thread starter macrumors regular

I am also beginning to think that this is why iPad is losing its market share to android. Also for the iPhone. This could be like the original Macintosh. It wasn't selling good but Steve believed it was a hot seller from the start.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

14. iAppleseed thread starter macrumors regular

Have you ever heard of the saying "What comes up must come down"? I think if Apple continues speed bumps until the end, one day no one would be using an iPhone anymore. I'm pretty sure even you wouldn't like it if the upgrade is just a speed bump. Who would?

15. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Be ahead of the curve. Sell all your iDevices and go to Android. You know you want to.

So what is it about the other platform(s) that is so revolutionary? A smartphone in 2012 is pretty much a smartphone (and similar to the original iPhone). Most tablets look and act an awful lot like the iPad. Perhaps the next great thing will come from a company no one has yet heard about. Perhaps in 100 years Apple will not exist. Live in the moment.

16. darkus macrumors regular

I think you are waking up from the apple fanboy bubble. Apple products have never been more technologically advanced then anything else out there, and most times actually less advanced.

Starting with the original iPod, apple started to really figure out how to package it all in a sleek casing and with some idiot proof software that attracted the not so intelligent masses to basic tech that the geeks and techies already know about.

Now we are in the natural stage of that process where the shiny packaging and software has now become normal to the masses, so now you are bored looking for something else to wow you. But why would Apple be so stupid to mess with a successful packaging theme right now?

Apple products are in-deed less boring then they were 5 years ago, its just a problem of you getting used to/bored of them. Ive been bored of it all since the first iPhone, but I still appreciate what it is and the ways it makes life easier for me, so I happily use the products and if the updates offer soemthing I need (such as say 4G in the next gen iPhone) then I take that and move on in my life without needing to have something to worship every night before going to bed

:apple:

17. iAppleseed thread starter macrumors regular

No. I don't want android. I like the iDevices but it's not enough. I want more.

----------

I still love the Mac. In fact, I'm getting the highest end iMac as soon as the new iMac is released.

I am sorry but I have to disagree with you about the iPod. The iPod was the first music player you could put in your pocket that can play a thousand songs. There was nothing like it on 2001. All of the others were large. It was revolutionary.

18. gadget123 macrumors 68000

The first poster has a good point no point in selling the 4S to be great..it's basically an Iphone 4 with a better camera but worse battery.

19. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

You do know that these products didn't go from conception to production since Steve passed don't you.

It takes time, measured in months and in some cases years.

You will be seeing Steve's involvement (if you look for it) for several cycles to come before declaring that Apple might have lost its way.

20. blue43fan macrumors regular

It's about getting the concept right from the start, then continually refining and improving it. That's what it's always been about.

21. iAppleseed thread starter macrumors regular

You made small things sound big. Improved speaker output? Glonass russian GPS technology? Barely anyone cares about those things. The only thing exciting about this new iPhone is Siri.

22. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I would say with todays technology there is only so much you can do with a phone. Siri was pushing the limits as we all know from it's performance.

Do we really want Apple to do that again. I would settle for a little bigger screen and a few enhancements like file management.:rolleyes:

23. cynics macrumors G4

There are somethings I feel let down on but other thing I can understand.

Like NFC, that's cool. Guy in front of me in line at best buy a couple weeks ago was using what looked to be a nexus s (two year old android phone) to pay for his purchase. It was just something that look neat and convenient.

LTE on the other had. Been around forever but it's a battery hog. I can understand why apple would want to wait for more energy efficient tech.

I think I'm mostly disappointed with iOS. I've come not to expect much. When I first got my iPhone 4S it was rock solid. Now I have random apps that crash, my camera roll has corrupted. Things like that. It's no better then my android tablet as far as the "it just works" comment goes.

Overall I still prefer it for a smartphone.

24. aristobrat macrumors G5

IMO, the majority of folks who gave Apple the "what comes up" bump in sales don't upgrade their iOS devices yearly, and thus don't experience speed bumps.

Take the iPhone. Most folks are on a two-year contract and wait until the end of their contract to upgrade. A ton of people went from the iPhone 3GS to the iPhone 4s. I doubt many of them view their iPhone 4s upgrade as a mere speed bump.

It's cool that you apparently have the means to buy a new iOS device literally every time that Apple releases one. IMO, that's not how the majority of the consumer market that Apple serves acts, and it seems a little ridiculous that you're criticizing Apple for not wowing you on a yearly basis.

In that aspect, Android really does sound like a better platform for you, as the "gee whiz" hardware updates seem to move a little faster than the speed at which you upgrade your phones.

As someone who takes a ton of pictures/video from their iPhone, the iPhone 4s camera/video quality spec bump was enough better than the iPhone 4 for me to pay $400+ for an early upgrade. So what's with the "barely anyone cares about those things"?! Again, are you expecting Apple to only put in things that you care about? Exactly how well do you think that a phone built with only what you want would appeal to a general audience?

25. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

The 4s is being praised for being the best cell phone camera out there. I don't think that would be considered something people don't care about.