Is Apple using more new phones for warranty replacements instead of refurbs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmx, May 30, 2013.

1. dmx macrumors 6502a

I had my iPhone 5 swapped out under warranty today. I don't care one bit if the replacement is "new" or refurbished, but I noticed the new Serial number began with DNPK, and the OS is 6.1.4. Plugging the serial into the chipmunk.nl decoder, production year is said to be May 2013. I wonder if Apple is beginning to use more new phones as replacements. I read that it is more cost effective, although I'm not sure that's the case. Just thought it was interesting. If it matters, it's a 32GB Sprint model.

2. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

From the looks of it being made in may means that it must be new.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

3. maliu macrumors 6502a

Got my white box phone late March, said it was made early March. But it was a refurb. Had time on the usage clock. Refurb.

----------

Started with DQ

4. woodynorman macrumors 6502

I had my iphone5 swapped out a couple weeks ago at an Apple store due to a charging port problem.

I was given a new phone, not refurb.

5. Heater macrumors member

My was replaced last week with a new one (20th week build) may.

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Phones are given a new serial number when they're refurbs, so for a refurbished phone, the serialised date shows the date it was refurbished :p.

Therefore every phone you get from Apple will have a date in the last couple of months, new or refurb :p.

7. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

came from the cherry hill apple store in NJ last weekend, got a replacement brand new in retail packaging

8. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

A certain percentage of brand new iPhones are packaged for warranty replacements. It's always been this way. Apple can't count on just returns to supply their warranty replacement inventory.

In other words, just because you get a "plain boxed" iPhone doesn't mean it's not brand new.

9. Bonibo80 macrumors newbie

DNPK serial...

Dear all,

I received my iPhone 5 swapped out under warranty. The new serial begin with "DNPK" and on the "http://www.chipmunk.nl" I show this message:" cleaned up from dnpk..."
    What is this message? Is it refurbished?
    I received it with the original box and all accessories.

Thanks