Is applecare+ attached to hardware?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acorntoy, Aug 31, 2013.

1. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

So I sold my iphone 5 on amazon recently with applecare+ attached. Anyways I'm just wondering if the applecare+ is attached to the serial number of the phone and not my name/address?

I know when you get a replacement you have to sign to authorize the repair, and I'm just wondering I'd the new owner will be able to sign for it?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Applecare follows the device, not the individual...When you sell an Apple product and de-register it from the my products support page, the new owner registers the product and is then covered by whatever Applecare is left on the device.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you can get a refund (prorated) for the unused portion of the applecare+.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5688?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

4. acorntoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just checked the my products page, my ipad is there but not the phone, I assume this means I'm good to go? Thanks for the help btw.

----------

I sold it advertising the applecare+ so this isn't really an option

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

ah, i see. when i sold my iphone 5 when i left verizon, i started by advertising the applecare plus. when no one bit, i removed any mention of the applecare and dropped the price and asked apple for a refund after selling. i actually wound up with more than i'd originally wanted.

6. acorntoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did you use it at all? I'd already used it once so I imagine I wouldn't have gotten much of a refund.