Is Applecare + available for the NEW iPad? I am about to go with ST if not.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by maf2k8, Mar 16, 2012.

1. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

Ok, FedEx just dropped off my iPad 3 and like all of my Apple products, I get a accidental damage warranty the same day ( better to be safe then sorry )

I recently just found out that Apple now has AppleCare+ ( i am mainly interested in the accidental damage feature since my 4yr old son likes to watch movies on my iPad )

Anyways, When i go to the Apple site and then over to Applecare+ for the iPad and click BUY NOW the page leads to nothing.. So i assume its not out yet..

Is this just a rumor that Apple is going to offer this for the new iPad? or is this a for sure thing? and if so, when? I am about to pull the trigger on a warranty from ST ( 79.99, 2yrs with Accidental damage ) BUT if Applecare+ is coming for the iPad 3, then i will skip ST and go with Apple..

Any news?

2. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

3. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

I ordered AppleCare+ with my preorder. It was $99. It was offered on the third page where they offered accessories.

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The only way to buy AppleCare+ post purchase is either at the apple store with the genius bar to inspect it and proof of purchase or by calling Apple.

5. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

You only have 30 days from date of purchase to do so.

6. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Yep, it's available. Preordered it with my iPad and it was already set up and registered to the device when I picked it up, no need to go online or call and register it separately or anything. I didn't used to get AppleCare, but I had an iMac with the dreaded Nvidia GS8800 defect which bricked it (original price over $2K and $1.5K to replace it), and then my girlfriend dropped her iPhone 3GS into a bucket of water, then later onto cement and shattered the screen. Yeah, it adds a little cost, but I like the peace of mind that comes with it, basically you won't have a hassle if anything goes wrong, even if it's your fault. Now I have AppleCare or AppleCare+ with everything.

7. aggieastrosfan macrumors member

Got it this morning at Verizon. And it appears they applied our 25% accessory discount to it - my receipt shows 74.99 as the Apple Care + price. Score!

8. ZipZap macrumors 601

Read the webpage, you have to go to a store or call them. I called this morning and added to my ipad before I even took delivery.

Sure hope you did not buy squaretrade... its not the best deal.

9. emaja macrumors 68000

Why not? It's only $89 for 2 years and same deductible as Apple.

Asking seriously...

10. maf2k8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually its 79.99 now for 2yrs if you LIKE there FB page..

11. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Yea... How is square trade a better deal than AppleCare (asking as an AppleCare customer)

12. maf2k8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well i never had to file a claim on ANY of my devices i have with Squaretrade.. but 1 good thing i can say is cool about them is you can cancel your warranty at anytime and normally get 100% of what you paid for it back.. So say if you buy an iPad ( or some other device ) and insure it on day 1, Then you sell it say 5 months later, you can actually get a refund on the warranty..

My iPad 2 that i just sold, i paid 79.99 for 2 yr warranty with accidental damage protection.. 1 yr into the warranty when i sold my iPad, i canceled the warranty and got 48.50 refunded back to my card. Yeah i could have just transferred the warranty with the device but people don't want to pay extra for a warranty when your selling something used ( at least not in my area ) , they expect it to be part of the price... It just seems to work out better if you can cancel the warranty i guess.

I cancelled 3 warranties before ( 2 iPads and 1 MBP ) and it has worked out well since i sold the devices.

Once i found out Apple added accidental damage to the Applecare, i admit, i did jump on it ( even though it cost a bit more then ST ) simply because i can just walk into the Apple store near me, and BAM....DONE..

Either warranty honestly i think is fine though.. If you break your iPad TWICE within a 2yr period, then i don't think your deserve to own a iPad for that matter..

13. katyoshi macrumors 6502

You know if you purchase the iPad with a mastercard with that benefit then you get your second year covered by the card. :D

14. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Yea, but the credit card warranties usually dont cover accidental damage past 90 days.

15. Built macrumors 68020

I always get SquareTrade but I want to check out the terms and conditions for Applecare +...I will call tomorrow...As long as it has ADH coverage, I'd be up for it.

16. doboy macrumors 68000

I think in CA and some other states you get a pro-rated refund when you cancel your warranty. So I would assume it'll be the same with AppleCare depending on the state you live in. I guess the biggest advantage is that you can get a replacement device pretty quickly if you live near an Apple store.

17. ZipZap macrumors 601

Squaretrade is a dimisihing value coverage plan. As you make claims your coverage goes down the amount of the repair. Use it all up before the end of the 2 years and you have no coverage.

Also, squaretrade has a $49 deducible for ALL claims.

Whereas, you only pay $49 at apple for accidental damage replacement. Otherwise apple has no deductible. You also get coverage for the full 2 years.

18. Built macrumors 68020

Just purchased Applecare + over the phone...easy process. I purchased my iPad 3 yesterday morning from Best Buy, and all I had to do was give them my serial number and credit card number.

With the ADH, Applecare is worth it (at least to me).

19. celly macrumors 6502

I purchased AppleCare+ on March 7 with the rest of the iPad. I confirmed with my Apple Support profile that it's in place until 2014.

Keep in mind that because it's more of an insurance policy than past AppleCare offerings, they may be making it harder to purchase after the fact so people don't buy it AFTER they have a mishap. You were able to purchase the "old" AppleCare well into the ownership period.

I read somewhere that Apple wants you to purchase after-sale AppleCare+ policies in person at Apple Stores so they can verify that the device is not damaged already. You also have a much tighter timeframe to do this than in the former case.

Call Apple. They're probably less busy now that the initial surge is over.

20. Ccrew macrumors 68020

2 years or two replacements. After the second replacement you have no more Applecare

21. ZipZap macrumors 601

Not true, after 2 replacements you have no more replacements. Your manufacturer warranty is for 2 years.

22. AlPlPlLE macrumors regular

Correct Zipzap

@Ccrew, even if you use your 2 accidental damages, your still covered 2 years of warranty for all hardware and software issues pertaining to that iPad.

23. ZipZap macrumors 601

The squaretrade refund is prorated if you cancel it.

24. Kemical macrumors newbie

Would you please post more details from your receipt. The old Applecare for iPad that you could buy anywhere is part number MC595LL/B. The new Applecare+ for iPad is part number S4689LL/A, and according my phone call to Apple is only sold by Apple. I have an unused/unregistered retail package of MC595LL/B and am trying to determine what if anything will happen when I apply that to my new iPad.

25. ZipZap macrumors 601

No accidental damage coverage.