Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omizzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
I had my display replaced a few weeks ago due to a ghosting issue on the 1st gen 15" Retina MBP. The Genius told me that they can't replace something twice for the same issue. They replaced it free of charge since I am still under Apple's warranty.

So I am wondering, is AppleCare still worth it at this point? Seeing as how the most expensive component has already been replaced?

Just wondering before I drop another $250 for the extended coverage.

Any thoughts?

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013
If the first one failed there's nothing to suggest the new one will not, even after it is not under warranty. Plus, the logic boards are also expensive to repair as well. Applecare for something so expensive...yep, if it were me.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
I had my display replaced a few weeks ago due to a ghosting issue on the 1st gen 15" Retina MBP. The Genius told me that they can't replace something twice for the same issue. They replaced it free of charge since I am still under Apple's warranty.

So I am wondering, is AppleCare still worth it at this point? Seeing as how the most expensive component has already been replaced?

Any thoughts?

It was my understading that Apple must replace a computer, under a warantee, if any hardware problems arise that are their fault. That includes ghosting however many times it may pop up. But AppleCare is a good bet if you will keep this computer for 3+ years. It just takes one logic board faliure to be worth the money.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru

Any thoughts?

He said that? I thought that you're machine gets replaced if two repairs have been made. Anyways, yes get it! The machine is too expensive to not have warranty on it.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
I had my display replaced a few weeks ago due to a ghosting issue on the 1st gen 15" Retina MBP. The Genius told me that they can't replace something twice for the same issue.

Sounds like your Genius deserves a different title. Or maybe what he meant was that after 2 failed repairs of the same component they replace the entire machine instead?

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Run, don't walk to get AppleCare. The new retina models have everything on the logic board. Let's say a single RAM chip fails? Cost of repair? A new motherboard. I'm not a fan of warranties but on machines like this (along with the Air) the AppleCare warranty is a must if you plan on keeping it more than a year. This isn't like earlier machines, most failures other than the display, keyboard, or internal cables is going to mean a logic board replacement.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Considering all repairs to retina are ungodly expensive Applecare is worth it after one thing breaks usually.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ

The Genius might have meant that they repaired/replaced something that they couldn't independently verify. My experience with Apple has been that in the name of good customer relations, they will remedy a complaint you have even if it doesn't merit fixing in their opinion. When they do so, they warn you this was a one-time courtesy. In other words, don't expect us to do it again. In the case of ghosting, they likely took your word there was a problem. If the display were to fail in a different manner, that would be treated as a separate issue.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
If I were you would buy it, you can do better than $250; I paid $228 for mine brand new, sealed in Ebay from a reputable seller, which even included a store purchasing receipt. You may also find similar deals elsewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.