Is Apple's 15-inch MacBook Pro really 15 inch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by khaled95, Mar 3, 2017.

1. khaled95, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017

khaled95 macrumors newbie

To me, it looks like a 17-inch laptop when comparing it to other laptops of the same size.

Those are from the site. How was it calculated?
    • Height: 0.61 inch (1.55 cm)
    • Width: 13.75 inches (34.93 cm)
    • Depth: 9.48 inches (24.07 cm)

2. jerwin macrumors 65816

3. robvas macrumors 68020

The screen is 15.4" inches measured diagonally. That's how every laptop is measured.

4. khaled95 thread starter macrumors newbie

OR add the square of two of these numbers then take the root and we get the diagonal in cm. right?

When trying to do that then converting to inches, it was 17 inches!

5. cube macrumors G5

My (dead) 17" MBP2011 has about the same footprint as my 15" Skylake Acer (but the latter is lighter as it has no optical, etc.).

6. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Sounds like you're using the entire computers measurements.

You need to only measure the actual screen. Not the bezel around the screen.

7. khaled95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, look. How did that begin? I have HP ProBook 4540s. It was 15.6 inch which is bigger or at least the same as the Mac. But I felt otherwise, so I measured the screen and it was 34.5 x 19.5 cm which makes it legitimate 15.6 inches. So there is no way the Macbook's screen is 15 inches.

8. cube macrumors G5

9. khaled95 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was referring to the ProBook which is exactly like what is on HP's website. I don't have a Mac yet, but like I said, it appears in pictures bigger than the probook. If I were to use the macbook's dimensions to get the diagonal, which ones should I use?

10. caramelpolice macrumors regular

This thread is stupid and I am equally stupid for going along with it.

[​IMG]

11. cube macrumors G5

Vendors can only round the last digit. Anybody can measure a screen.

They do not publish width and height of the panel or thickness of the bezel.

Maybe you can find those in some review site.

12. jerryk macrumors 68030

Get a tape measure. Measure from upper left corner to lower right corner. That is the size.

13. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I'm pretty sure it's lower left to upper right corner. That would be completely different :D

14. jerryk macrumors 68030

Opps,forgot. Maybe it depends on what language you type in. Left to right, right to left, and then there is vertical text!!:rolleyes:

15. jerwin macrumors 65816

Back in the eighties, when we used CRTs, apple's 13 inch monitor (which was a nice Trinitron) was the same size as a rivals 14 inch display (which probably used a crummy shadow mask display, to boot). You have to include the part you can't use!

16. flyinmac, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017

flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Well, just to make sure we got it covered, measure from lower left to upper right, and from upper left to lower right. Add those numbers together, and then divide by 2. :p
    --- Post Merged, Mar 3, 2017 ---
    Screens have always been measured diagonally. And only the actual LCD panel is to be measured. You don't measure the surrounding case of the computer that is holding the LCD panel.

The plastic or aluminum bezel that surrounds the LCD panel is just part of the enclosure that holds the LCD panel in place. It is not actually part of the LCD screen.

Only measure the LCD panel. And measure it diagonally.

As for when it started being done this way... it always has been. Even back with the old monster sized CRT displays.

Except with the CRT displays we had two measurements. Screen size, and viewable size. Screen size was the diagonal measurement of the entire picture tube. Viewable size was the diagonal measurement of only the portion of the picture tube that you could see (because the bezels covered part of the outer edges of the tube.

With LCD panels, we don't have to cover part of the screen surface with the case. So we generally only need one measurement. Diagonally across the viewable area of the actual LCD panel.

Essentially, if it doesn't display a picture in that area, then don't include that area in the measurement.

17. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

I had a girl stop talking to me because she thought i was crazy when i said thats how they measure all screens. She still didn't believe me haha. I think i made her feel like an idiot. ohhhh well

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This is why:
    https://www.electronicworldtv.co.uk/blog/why-are-screens-measured-diagonally

19. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

There are different aspect ratios for different 15" screens. For example, while both the MBP 15 and Dell XPS 15 are 15" screens, because of the different aspect ratios, MBP has a larger screen area.

20. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Many girls don't care how you measure the "screen".
    It's how you use the "screen" that counts. :D
    (Hope that is not off-subject)

21. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

it would of gotten that far if she didn't freak out on me telling her she doesn't know how to measure it right ;)

22. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

To be fair, women have come to understand that men do have difficulty grasping the concept of measurement.

Having guys give them numbers like 6 inches, 8 inches, 12 inches, etc. Only to realize that the men obviously don't have any concept of reality in units of measurement, doesn't give women much reason to assume that men know anything about how to measure something.

Women know that if a man says 6 inches, it's really 1 inch. If he says 8 inches, it's really 2 inches, and if he says 12 inches that it's really only 3 and a half inches.

So you do have to understand where she's coming from. If you told her that the screen is 15 inches if you measure it a certain way, she's going to assume that you're using the same flawed techniques that caused her to have to go on an expedition with tweezers when someone promised 6 inches.

No personal connection implied (as in I'm not saying anything about your manhood -- just pointing out why women might not believe a mans explanation of how to measure a screen).

23. MrGuder macrumors 68020

Lol as they say a picture is worth a 1000 words.

24. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

Do all girls think men are lying then? seems a little odd to me. Some people lie not all guys lie about things

25. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

If any moderators are watching:
    Go to the toolshed.
    Grab the big stamp marked "CLOSED".
    Stamp this thread right in the face.

CLOSED.