Is Ars Technica now a mouthpiece of the US left?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by the8thark, Jan 26, 2017.

1. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

I bring your attention to a couple (of many similar) articles written by Ars Technica.

https://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2017/01/twitter-search-trump-profile-insults/

https://arstechnica.com/staff/2016/12/deathwatch-2017-the-most-endangered-tech-companies/
    In particular from the article, this statement by Ars writer Sam Machkovech:
    "The platform’s most talked-about user, President-elect Donald Trump, The platform’s most talked-about user, President-elect Donald Trump, has relied on the platform to spread misinformation and point his most harassing and abusive followers at specific people he dislikes."

What Sam Machkovech has written here is objectively false. Also it's totally unacceptable to say in a tech article when talking about bad tech companies. He could not stick to reasons why the tech companies have failed or will fail. He added in his own point showing his political bias.

There are more such articles out there. Yes Ars Technica is still promoting the tech news but every time they also attach Trump quite heavily in some of their articles while not saying a thing wrong about the left. I don't care which side they like or hate, Ars Technica is a tech news website. They should be reporting on the tech news without their political bias getting in the way. Unbiased tech news where the readers can make up their own mind on it. That's what Ars Technica used to be but not anymore.

What do you think about this? Do you agree or disagree.

2. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Disagree. Misuse of tech is a valid storyline for a tech site. #alternativefact

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I wouldn't call it being a mouthpiece for the left (and I'm generally in the right, myself). I'd call it doing whatever they can justify to generate clicks (ad revenue).

Every major publication has been doing it for years with Apple. Now, Trump is a hot/controversial topic, so they're going to try and cash in on it, of course.

4. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

Misuse of tech is a valid storyline for a tech site. - Correct.
    However saying there was misuse when no misuse happened is not good for a tech site. (Trump didn't misue tech at all). That just lowers the reuptation of said tech website.

Also misuse of tech by anyone is valid when it's said in it's own story with a purely factual basis to the article is fine. Just slipping in political bias inot articles that are nothing to do with misuse of tech is wrong also. I am got against mususe of tech articles as long as the bias is not there and it's all about the facts. That didn't happen here and I am pointing it out.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 26, 2017 ---
    Does not make it moral at all. But I guess morality does out the window when you are fishing for ad revenue.

5. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

I agree and you might add Daring Fireball to the list.

6. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I quickly grew weary of Gruber's political posts, so I simply checked it less often. It's his site though. Obviously, he can do as he pleases.

8. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

As we've witnessed here at MacRumors in our PRSI section, throwing politics into the mix doesn't turn out very well.

They need to stick to technology and keep political opinions out of it.

Edit: If they are just doing it for bait click, it's even more despicable.

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Yes they should stay out of politics and do more EFF.org style of articles!

10. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

A writer on a website I like said something I don't like so now I'm going to some on another site and complain...

I love the internetz :D
    I can't freaking stand Eric Raymond's politics so every time I see one of his political rants I don't read it but ya know what he's got one of the best tech minds in world so I read his stuff when it's tech related. My not liking his politics aren't going to change them nor prevent him from blogging so I take what I like from him and leave the rest.

11. sim667 macrumors 65816

I like the way stating something which has, and continues to happen now makes you a "mouthpiece of the left"

12. Scepticalscribe, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well said.

And I like the way some on the right try to fence off debate - or interrogation - whenever their actions affect some sphere that they attempt to argue is not strictly political.

So, following that flawed and wonderfully imperfect logic, health professionals are not supposed to discuss how right wing health policies have an impact on the health of the poor, scientists are not supposed to discuss how environmental polices may influence climate change, and now tech platforms cannot discuss the impact - on tech - of the action dan policies of some (right wing) users?

Pretty disingenuous, to my mind.

13. sim667 macrumors 65816

I'm not sure we should be referring to the left and right labels either to be honest.

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Is anyone disputing the fact that Trump uses Twitter to blast specific people he considers --at least momentarily-- to be "enemies"?

Not sure that commenting on a fact means one "leans left". I mean there are people who celebrate the fact that Trump blasts his "enemies" via Twitter. Some are on the right. Others, on the left, consider Trump's behavior along that line food for political opposition and so may welcome the target Trump makes of himself with some of those tweets.

Now I happen to believe Trump's not in full control of himself sometimes, which means he could tweet something the country regrets one of these days. So I don't actually like it that candidate tweeter Trump has morphed seamlessly into President Tweeter TrumpTrumpTrump.

But I think it's fine that anyone writing for the press may choose to cite a fact, even if they then also proceed to bless or or curse it with an opinion. It's clear enough that Trump uses Twitter as a weapon when he wants to. That's an observable fact. I would say that whether some press dude likes what Trump tweets or how he tweets it is not difficult to discern either. Ars Tech readers can probably figure it out and leave behind what they don't like.

15. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Liberal here. About a month ago, maybe 2, I asked myself that same question. I wasn't sure if I was imagining it or not. it's nice to see someone else picked up on it too.

16. jerwin macrumors 65816

17. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

There are sites that I've stopped going to that have nothing to do with politics but are now giving political opinion. It's one thing for me to come here, I do this purposely but I don't need it shoved down my throat all day and night when I am trying to escape political opinion. I have however accepted that it's just part of the current environment because it's still new....even my own small forum based on fishing is rampant with it. Things will turn in time and it will be business as usual.

18. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I think that what is being missed is that opposition to Trump transcends a left/right thing. It's a common decency, competence, rational thinking thing. In other words people against aren't opposed to just right policies (as many are on the right themselves) it's opposition to the crazy.

19. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I think that when we are trying to look for technical news, last thing we want is more political opinion thrown in our face. As if we don't hear that we're Nazi, sexist, misogynist, racist, etc enough, we can't even read a technical website without political opinions splashed all over it.

I did not complain about Obama. Nor did I vent my frustrations over his healthcare law in every single post. I didn't scream out that I thought his birth certificate was fake when I was talking about rooting my Note 3. Nor was I busy venting about how he was a weak and indecisive person in times of continued war while I was commenting on Windows 10 Technical preview bugs on my Lumia 640.

Everything I wrote above was just my opinion. My political opinion did not belong in my technical conversations. We talk about politics so much, there is way more to life than just focusing on the bad all the time.

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

However, politics definitely affects technology and our entire way of life. Things like government intrusion into phones, NSA spying, net neutrality, driverless car regulations, FCC regulations....all of this impacts our lives and future. Thus politics has never been more relevant to technology than it is now. The reverse is true as well. Politics have changed due to technology also.

21. Cineplex macrumors 6502a

Cineplex

Lets see...most tech news companies are out of California......so that should answer any questions. You want to see some good old rubbish political reporting head on over to Engadget. They are a tech site gone liberal social justice warrior. Add that to the fact their editors are useless and have no idea about anything they are writing about. Just a few months back a senior editor posted a story about NASA wanting to send a telescope to another galaxy. Ya, real bright people over there.

22. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

The Verge did as well. Not to mention Nilay is a mumbling hack.

23. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

What I'm saying is if I'm telling you how to root a phone or unlock a bootloader, it is not relevant to tell me who you voted for (Or against) in an election.

Like when you are doing your job, you should be focused on the task at hand. Everyone will have an opinion on politics and where they stand. That has no place in fact land.

Fact: My Note 3 has a ROM called Jedi Elite and we're conversing about how we can improve it.

Opinion: The ROM maker told us he voted for Hillary, so I feel X way. (This is just an example, my ROM developer didn't indulge this information).

See? If we'd just talked about the ROM, then zero opinion would be placed in it. In reality we all worked together in harmony to get stuff done.

24. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

All the tech horny sites are bitter b/c Hillary lost. Been to Daring Fireball lately? Gruber should be on suicide watch.

25. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Okay. I agree on that individual type of case. But if people are looking to avoid politics on a tech site when they are so linked now, well that just isn't going to happen.