Is asking for money a First Amendment right?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Mar 29, 2017.

1. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

what is your opinion about this seemingly innocent question?

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Can you clarify? If a college student asks Mom and Dad for money, it had nothing to do with the first amendment.

3. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

There's not much to clarify. First amendment applies for public spaces/public discourse.

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Not much to discuss then.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

6. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Why?
    I was asked the question and I wasn't sure what to say because of panhandlers.

7. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

"I'd rather not"
    Works for me.

Or if it's panhandlers, just keep walking. They might be protected by first amendment rights but I think Giuliani cut down on them on loitering laws.

8. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

In a town near me, they just made it illegal to trespass (camp / sleep) on city property. And automatic jail if you're caught.

And, they made it illegal and punishable if you are caught handing money to a panhandler. So it discourages people from giving money to people who are begging.

Actually pretty effective. It's run a lot of the homeless out of town.

Granted, they just went somewhere else.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Right on..As long as it's not in my town it doesn't exist.

:rolleyes:

10. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I could be wrong, but I thought solicitation was different from free speech in some way, which is how neighborhoods are able to post "no soliciting" signs.

11. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

It is harsh. But at the same time, how do you help the ones who need help without catering to those who drive a Mercedes and just get richer for doing nothing but begging for money.

They do have shelters for those who need them. But of course, they do run out of beds.

It's a tough problem to manage. I don't know if we'll ever find a true solution until we evolve into a society of community, instead of a society based on profit/money.

That is one area where I'd love to see the Star Trek type world. Where money is unnecessary. Everyone just works together because they want to / for the benefit of the community.

But, that'll probably never happen. And even if it did, what would become of those who simply didn't want to be part of the community?

12. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

That's an interesting observation. However no soliciting means to not get into private property and or disrupt a business in any way. Is holding a cardboard sign soliciting ?

13. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

It's protected speech provided it doesn't infringe on the rights of others.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'll answer the question first, then look back through the thread and see how wrong I am.

By 1st Amendment right I'm assuming that means free speech. So can the government squelch speech because it concerns a request for money? I don't see how they could, unless somehow we're talking about someone barred by law from that kind of solicitation. But otherwise, no, I don't think anybody should be prevented by the government from asking for money.

Now let's see what this issue is really about.

15. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Hmmm. I thought solicitation was just the act of requesting or propositioning someone, whether in public or on private property, but I'll admit I've only seen the signs in private spaces (homes, businesses etc).

I'd say that holding a sign is soliciting. Someone is asking for something, or offering a service (will work for food for example).

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Exactly. That's not solving the problem. It's just shunting it off to someone else.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 29, 2017 ---
    o_O:rolleyes: You have a rare breed of homeless in your town.

17. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

This is the dumbest thread I've seen for a while (and that say's a lot). WTF?

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Today someone got "spare changed," and the reverberations are felt as far away as PRSI.

19. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

It's a legit question with legal implications based on a curiosity that a question someone asked to me raised; in any case, your presence was not required or even requested..

20. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

So maybe I'm a "bleeding-heart liberal", but I often find someone "guarding" a parking lot that I park in asking for a couple bucks. Usually I give it to them - it seems a better expense than buying an overpriced latte...but they're always nice people and my couple of bucks isn't going to change their reality. The irony (imo) is that some Conservatives say charity will make up for cutting Government services. What i do on that corner is charity. That's why I think this thread is ridiculous...

21. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Lol. A guy at city hall asked me as panhandling is an issue in my community and apparently it's a defense that panhandlers are using when cops are called. I have no idea if it's free speech or not, hence the question.

22. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

So this is an on-line sub-forum. I wasn't aware I needed a permission slip. I'm sorry if i inadvertently hit a nerve.

*edit* quite frankly, it's a stupid question. The legality of it is of little consequence since the person(s) doing it would be operating outside the law anyways. No offense, but I don't get it.

23. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Whatever.
    Can you at least try to contribute by offering your opinion on the original question?

24. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I edited. FWIW

25. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Serious question, why would walking with a cardboard sign "Need five bucks" be against the law?