Is AT&T truly unlimited?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mpossoff, Oct 13, 2012.

1. mpossoff, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

mpossoff macrumors 68020

is AT&T truly unlimited or not? I always knew the 'cap' or whatever you call it existed but never considered it until I(we) got throttled recently.

I'm a local truck driver and don't have access to wifi often and on my down time I like to stream. Streaming on LTE was fantastic but now with throttling speeds it's somewhat painful. I work for same employer but I bid on a different job duty which doesn't allow me more access to wifi.

I don't work in an office or environment where wifi is accessible. What do people if for the majority of the time there's no wifi available?

I'm considering switching to VZW. We have 4 lines and have been in contact with someone that has the ability to transfer my AT&T lines and retain unlimited data.

But I'm always careful that 'the grass isn't always greener'. Pricing isn't an issue because AT&T and VZW are compatible. I would say that AT&T and VZW are equal in coverage in my area, both are pretty decent equally.

2. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

sometimes Verizon won't throttle you. and you have to pay full price to keep the unlimited data.

3. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Sometimes VZW won't throttle you meaning that VZW does throttle? Does VZW throttle down to like .20 Mbps?

Paying full price for a device means you are paying more for data. True however IF AT&T isn't truly unlimited then you're paying more for having un-throttled unlimited with VZW. If this is the case then you can't compare AT&T and VZW grandfathered unlimited plans.

4. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

If WiFi is not available you have no choice except to use cellular but the carrier has got to do something to control the use if it's bandwidth. There is only so much to go around and over use will degrade the overall system for everyone. :(

Sorry but I say downloading large files like movies over cellular is abuse. Finding WiFi is just not that hard and with a little more planning downloading large files via cellular can be avoided. :rolleyes:

For those who can't get on WiFi or are just lazy, they SHOULD be throttled or pay more for the bandwidth. :mad:

5. bisnicks macrumors regular

When you go to Verizon, you can either pay full price for a phone or use someone else's upgrade to retain your unlimited data.

Verizon only throttles you when you're in the top 5% of data users on a tower and the tower is congested. Other than that, they don't throttle.

6. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

How can you transfer your unlimited AT&T lines to unlimited verizon? Or are you trading your unlimited AT&T lines for someone's unlimited Verizon lines?

7. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

http://support.verizonwireless.com/information/data_disclosure.html

i was able to trade someone on craigslist my ATT unlimited, for their Verizon unlimited...couldnt be happier! almost 20 gb so far this month

8. evilrt macrumors regular

evilrt

if you are new to Verizon then there is no option for unlimited data no matter what price you pay for the device. so the question you have to ask yourself is "do i pay the same every month with Att with a limit or pay as i go with Verizon with no obstructions?"

9. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Verizon doesn't currently throttle LTE data - only 3G. And as another said, it is only if you're in the top 5% and the tower you're on is currently congested.

The real bonus on Verizon is if you have unlimited LTE on your phone, you can add unlimited tethering to it for $30/mo extra. Then if you travel with a laptop, it can use your phone for internet and you can download/stream to your heart's content.

I use 30-80GB/mo and I've yet to be throttled on Verizon. If you can get an unlimited plan with them and you use a lot of data, I say jump ship ASAP.

10. iAi macrumors 6502

*sigh*

My beautiful sexy beast is being throttled now.

Yeah, UNLIMITED combination of fast, decent and crappy data speeds

I wish it's a truly unlimited pure power of data speed.

I am just going to let my contract end. And play by the ear next year ...

11. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Why do people keep posting this false info
    :mad:

12. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

(I changed my username)

Transfer my AT&T lines to the person. Then get TOl VZW lines.

13. Joesmith13245 macrumors regular

I just called Verizon(as a new customer)and asked for an unlimited data on a new iphone5 and was told no can do. Even when I offered to pay full price for the phone they said no unlimited data.

How can I get unlimited data from Verizon as a new customer?

14. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

You can't!

15. Beezzy macrumors 6502

You can't, they stopped offering Unlimited Data a few months after they did their iPhone 4 launch early last year.

16. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

Certain corporation s can unlimited. Verizon was trying to get our business. I told them if no one else I need unlimited. They said due to my industry they could make it happen if I switched my company over.

17. Joesmith13245 macrumors regular

I'm confused. Rolltide1's reply regarding false information implies that New customers can get unlimited data. Am I reading this wrong, or is Rolltides statement inaccurate?

18. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

Depends on the circumstance. When I had my previous job duty I had access to wifi pretty much anytime I needed it.

Now I don't. I can't drive around looking for a wifi spot because of the area I'm supposed to be stationed in doesn't have it. I can't drive around outside the boundaries to find a wifi spot. So I'm not lazy. I'm doing to the exact same applications as before except I was on wifi before and now I can't be on wifi. Believe I wish I could be on wifi so I won't get throttled. I wasn't on wifi previously because of the fear of being throttled, I was on wifi because of being a responsible data user.

19. evilrt macrumors regular

evilrt

feel dumb yet?

----------

roll is wrong. you cant get it.

20. Joesmith13245 macrumors regular

Maybe a more accurate statement would be: Verizon does not offer unlimited data to new individual customers. However, they do still offer it for some new business accounts?

21. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

You can do AOL's and some companies can still get unlimited data still so you are clearly wrong

----------

Sorry to hear that you are being nutered by AT&T that's why I dropped them it never made sense to me to punish somebody for an entire month when you go over 5 gigs by 10 megs . You used to be able to change APN's and get around the throttle but I believe ATT has closed that loophole

22. sc4rf4c3 macrumors regular

If iOS6 can be jailbroken to allow APN change there's an alternative AT&T APN that you can use to bypass throttling. It's not LTE speed but around 3-5Mbps, good enough for audio and video streaming or everyday use.

23. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Business contracts are a completely different ball game, and it's a moot point, since the forum poster would never be the one negotiating such a contract.

Corporate accounts often have one very large pool or unlimited data, but that's for company accounts, only. I, for example, have this, on Verizon.

No. See above. Only if it's a company device, AND the company's contract states such terms.

New customers cannot.

In the rare chance that you are on a corporate plan, you may if your company has such terms in their contract.

24. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

Yup. It was something I told them I had to have if I was to even consider switching us. So they are offering it. We have 15 phones currently on at&t.

25. CSpackler macrumors regular

CSpackler

It's not truly unlimited in the strict sense, but it's $30 for 5gb with no overages.

And it's eligible for my 15% fan discount while new plans aren't.

So I'm keeping it.