Is ATT going to get rid of the 2-yr contract plans, even from their website?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Avenger, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Avenger macrumors 6502

I have an ATT family plan and usually buy a new iphone every year on it. The second phone on my plan is rarely swapped out (the user doesn't care for a new phone) so I just do a swap on that phone very other year. From my understanding ATT got rid of the 2 year plans on the Apple site. Will they do the same for the iphone 6s or whatever the next phone will be called on their own website as well? Paying for the Next plan doesn't seem too advantageous for me. Also do they charge the outrageous telecommunications taxes on the part of the bill where you pay for the actual phone on your Next plan?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

As far as I know you will still be able to upgrade with contract via Att so they would not remove that option from their site.
    I do upgrade swaps too and used other lines subsidy to get a phone for my number.
    I don't think that will change.

3. Avenger thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I hope that will still be the case.

4. imlynxy macrumors 65816

No contracts for me makes t-mo less expensive than att with FAN discount

5. radiologyman macrumors 6502

I am in same situation as OP and one line is coming for subsidized upgrade. I may switch to another provider in a year from now, does it make fiscal sense to upgrade anyway if I will have to pay ETF in 1 year? It will be $375/2 plus activation minus sale price of my Iphone 6 over what I paid for it.

6. bushman4 macrumors 68000

ATT 2 year contracts will only be available on their website according to what they're saying. Of course it could change by the time the next iPhone comes out.

7. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

AT&T has stopped all equipment upgrades on all third party sites (Apple, Best Buy, etc), but as of today, they are still doing the 2-year contract subsidized upgrades in their stores and on their own website.

I see the trend moving away from these equipment subsidies... and given that Verizon has announced that they will be quitting the process altogether, I don't see AT&T keeping it going too much longer. If I had to guess, I'd say that this may be the last time the iPhone is available from AT&T with their 2-year contract and subsidy.

The handwriting is on the wall.

8. ht5pilot, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015

ht5pilot macrumors newbie

AT&T has their sales people trained to brainwash customers into thinking the Next program is best for everyone. For those on grandfather unlimited data plans and on family nation plans, these Next plans are not so good since we don't get any discounts. The 2 year contracts are better, but I believe they will be extinct before the end of the year.

9. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Sprint has announced the end to their 2 year contract. This leaves AT&T as the only (major) carrier still doing 2 year contracts. I predict that AT&T will soon announce the end of their 2 year contracts, as well.

10. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

The subsidy plan option is not advertised any longer, but when I click "check upgrade options" on my account, there are several options including the traditional subsidized plan, AT&T Next, and BYOD.

I've done the math rather extensively in an Excel spreadsheet, and for my particular needs the AT&T subsidized plan is the way to go. All other plans from AT&T, Verizon, and even T-Mobile cost me at least $16 more per month.

The only way for me to save more money is to go with a second rate MVNO, and I've personally had bad experience the one time I tried that (Red Rocket).

Anyway, I didn't mean to make this about myself. Yes the subsidized plan is still there as of today, at least it is for existing customers--you just have to click into the upgrade options to see it.

11. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

And it should be, seeing as how it has 1/3 the coverage.

12. pokerplayer73 macrumors 6502

pokerplayer73

N
    Not for long though. The way Verizon has stopped since Aug 13th, ATT will follow soon. Let's hope after 6S launch.

13. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

I don't think you made this "all about myself". I found the information you provided very helpful for me.
    I'm looking forward to getting another subsidized 2 year plan, again, with AT&T when the new models are available.
    Thanks for posting!

14. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

I agree with everything you said. Whenever I set foot into an AT&T store, someone is trying to get me off my unlimited data plan and pushing the NEXT program. I asked them what advantages I would have paying full price (in installments and having to turn it back in to them before getting a new model) for my phone with the NEXT plan and getting limited data. My question is met with a blank stare and closed mouth.
    I'm hoping to get another 2 year contract with these new iPhones. At least Verizon announced their intentions, on ditching contracts, in advance. I'll be a little pissed if AT&T does this just before the new iPhones come out.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

My understanding is that while contracts aren't an option with Verizon's new/current plans, they are still an option for those on other plans. So basically new users and those changing to new plans won't have those options, but those staying on their existing plans can still have contracts and subsidized phones.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That would suck.
    If that's the case I don't think I'll be keeping my 4 lines with them. Paying the same price but with no subsidies every 2 years its a no go for me.

17. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I am sure that AT&T will honor the "grandfather" situation, but I also believe that they will make it more and more difficult to get the subsidized phones - basically they already have - by removing all third party options... and yeah, they will close off the option for new customers and anyone who changes plans.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

If you are still on the plan that you had before (basically if you didn't switch to the new plan) then you should still have the same options for upgrades that you had before, including the contract option (if that was an option you had before).

19. Applejuiced, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That makes sense, I'm still on an old plan with unlimited data on all lines and subsidies.
    Hope you're right.
    If they pull something like that to their customers not letting them get subsidies any more with their grandfathered plans it's like telling them to leave.
    I don't think they'll go for it.

20. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

One thing I didn't consider is that Apple no longer sells subsidized phones. This means if any of us want to preorder the iPhone 6S at midnight on preorder day, we cannot just do an upgrade at store.apple.com, because subsidized phones won't be an option there.

I suppose we'll have to try to preorder on the AT&T website. I've always done the Apple website, which is slow but functional. I've never tried the AT&T website for preorder, has anyone else? Does it work okay?

21. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I'm sure that it probably does these days. I tried it several years ago and had nothing but frustration. I then went to the Apple site and got the purchase made within minutes. Of course, that was a few years back, so things may have changed.

22. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

I hope that you are right.

23. imlynxy macrumors 65816

agree 100 percent. the moment the change I switch. Att now I think monotors what will happend with VZW in nearest future. If I have to pay 100 percent for my phone I go woth t-mo.

24. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Where, specifically, did you get this information?
    Yes, it could change by the time the next iPhone comes out. Hopefully AT&T won't be so short sited.

25. imlynxy, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015

imlynxy macrumors 65816

Att has not the best managment now, so they can do whatever. They only follow the stream without new ideas. I hope I can upgrade this time, but I really doubt. Thanks God I have promo unlimited plan from t-mo for my international trips. I have to buy full price iphone, i buy t-mo version. I hope att reads this thread.