iPhone XS Max Is battery % coming back in iOS 13 and iPhone 11 or is it gone forever?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Renho, Jun 6, 2019.

?

Will they bring it back this year, when the notch goes away or never?

1. This year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. When notch goes away

51.4%
  3. Gone forever

48.6%
  1. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

I get it, a notch. But in reality it’s more screen Real estate than generations before and we still lose it. Put the WiFi next to time and give us a battery percentage!

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

No one here works for Apple.

It is amazing how easy it is to get over the percentage being gone.

3. Diamond Dog macrumors member

Diamond Dog

I don't really understand the need for an always-visible percentage. Seems to me like it would lead to battery anxiety more than anything. Having the battery represented by an icon and then being able to pull down on the Control Center for an exact percentage is a much more elegant solution than jamming more info into the status bar.

4. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Yeah, more screen real estate because of that two ears at the top. /s
    I suspect iPhone 11 will not get battery percentage again.

5. now i see it macrumors 68040

Just be grateful they included an "Optimize Battery Charging" function in Settings. Now the battery won't get thrashed every time it's plugged in over night. FINALLY!

My iPhone (6+) won't run iOS 13, but Dark Mode, Optimized Charging, improved Notes and Safari (and Reminders) is enough for me to buy a newer phone to run this OS (later in the Spring when the bugs get worked out (13.3 or so)

6. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Yeah, I find upgrading at this time is better overall since some production issues may get ironed out at this point.
    But what I find is this year Apple has a hard time trying to sell iPhone XS Max. I exchanged three iPhones in total (each for a separate issue), and all are loaded with iOS 12.1.4. None of them are iOS 12.2 or 12.3. I have a feeling that this year the trend will continue.

7. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I really doubt it’s coming back. The status bar was pretty crowded with all that (mostly) unnecessary information.

I’ve had the percentage turned off since I upgraded from my 5s to the 6 plus. The phone will last all day on any normal day. If the battery is low for whatever reason, or I feel like plugging it in while I’m at work or driving, it’ll get a bit of a charge.

8. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

Is this a rethorical question? It’s not in iOS 13. It’s not coming back.

9. Kram Sacul macrumors 6502

Kram Sacul

No need for a percentage. Just enjoy your phone and stop worrying about the battery ticking down.

10. Renho thread starter macrumors 68000

Renho

I check it 10 times a day and tired of swiping for it. And I bet Apple employees are for sure on forums.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2019 ---
    I am tired of swiping for it! No what I really don’t under stand is why you have 3 things crammed on one side and one on the other.

11. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

If they are, then they’ve been silent for the 6 years I’ve been perusing these forums. If you want sound tech advice, you’ll find it here. But if you’re wanting answers regarding future Apple decisions you may as well ask a dog because it’ll know just as much as any of us, outside of the same rumors you can find on google.

12. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

It is quite likely that some Apple employees may be active members on this site. However, they would not be able to identify themselves as such or respond with answers that would either disclose confidential information or present themselves as Apple representatives.

I am employed by a computer manufacturer. And have the ear of some important people. But... in discussions I don’t state anything to imply any representation of said company. My statements in the forums are my own. However, that does not prevent me from reading something here and discussing it with someone within my company.

My being a member of Mac rumors has nothing to do with my employment. It’s a personal interest. But there are likely a number of members who work for numerous other computer companies including Apple. Just don’t expect them to respond as a representative of their employer.

13. hancuriang macrumors member

Maybe it’s a good thing the percentage is gone, I know someone who freaks out the moment it drops to below 80%.

14. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

We’ll get it back when the notch shrinks. Until then, just refer to the battery logo. It’s not a big deal in the grand scheme of smartphone things.

15. smirking macrumors 68020

smirking

I just prefer to know at a quick glance whether I need to charge my phone or not. I'm not constantly on my phone so I might not notice that the battery is really low until I'm halfway out the door and don't have time to charge. Count me as +1 for wanting battery percentage back. It's the only reason I don't like the notch. Otherwise, the notch doesn't bother me a bit.

16. Jasonstevens macrumors regular

Jailbreak developers have found sooo many ways to bring back the percentage without ruining the status bar. Apple could easily do it but I think they're trying to move away from seeing numerical figures for the battery so people don't spend so much time worrying about their battery.

It's harder to see your phone dropping 10% every 30 minutes when all you see is a tiny battery slowly depleting.

17. smirking macrumors 68020

smirking

According to someone here, Apple employees of all stripes are forbidden to engage in any third party online forums. Given Apple's penchant for secrecy, that makes a lot of sense.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Another question that only Apple know the answer.

I can not remember the last time I even looked at my battery percentage as my max lasts all day and then some.

Some become obsessive over their battery, not me.

19. ARizz44, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019

ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

I didn’t say Apple employees are not on the forums. I said if they are, they’ve been silent. By silent I meant to imply that they are not confirming rumors or answering the types of questions the OP has been asking in terms of unknown details or decisions regarding future products.

20. frosty18 macrumors regular

I actually don’t mind it missing. I actually had it off on my 8 plus

21. seezar macrumors regular

But as it is now, can't you determine at quick glance that is your battery needs charging just by looking at the battery icon itself? To me, it's pretty easy to determine when its just under half or if it's about a quarter charged, as examples, just by looking at the battery icon. I've never needed an exact percentage to know I'm really low on battery.

22. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

OP- I'm starting to see a pattern here in your posts, I think you're just anti-swipe! Seriously, I have the same basic usage patterns, meaning I don't find the need to constantly know what my exact percentage is at all times of day. I know about when I need charge and charge it.

23. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

24. smirking macrumors 68020

smirking

Yeah, I can, but only if I look carefully at it. I can't tell if I've got around 1/2 left or 1/3 just by a quick glance. Probably what's a bigger issue for me is that I don't notice it unless I'm reminding myself to check the battery. When I had numbers, it was a lot easier to catch what the battery level was with my peripheral vision, which would remind me to charge it.

My phone isn't my main device so I don't pay all that much attention to it most of the time and things that are abstracted like this make it harder for me to use it. It's not a huge deal, but it is an annoyance. I'd be happy if I had the ability to choose icon or percentage. I'd rather have just percentage alone if it had to be one or the other.

25. Cordorb macrumors regular

Siri- What's the battery percent on my phone