Is Bernie Sanders a progressive feminist or a sexist neanderthal?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Oct 30, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I don't know what is crazier: that Team Hillary claims that remark is "sexist" or that Bernie apologized for it. What are they supposed to say, that they'll consider Hillary for president?

Bernie has no idea what coming if he keeps doing well in the polls. Hillary will eviscerate him.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/hillary-clinton-sexism-bernie-sanders-215375#ixzz3q4lcGdUO

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Tempest in a tea pot. When surrogates and staffers are arguing it hardly rates a blip on my radar screen.

Blip.

3. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Bernie apologized. That's hardly a "staffer."

Anyway, we can see Hillary's campaign strategy: she will retaliate to any criticism with accusations of sexism.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I saw nothing in your article about an apology.

But then again, I've been known to skim.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Bernie knew when he entered and knows he'll never be President. He's accomplished his goal, make Hillary move further left.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It has worked well for Obama. Look at how many people here view any criticism of him as racist.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

You mean pretend to be further left. Hitlary will say anything to get elected

8. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Bernie likes to talk about how awesome and "free" everything is in countries such as Denmark, but he fails to mention their strict immigration policies.

Bernie is entertaining at least. He's like that crazy uncle that never stopped the drugs from the 60s.

9. FieldingMellish Suspended

The man's genuine. With Bernie, you know what you got.

The problem is that Bernie gives up too easily. The first time was when he surrendered the mike to Black Lives Matter loudmouths.

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

He is the only interesting person on the democrats side.

He adresses important issues and seems genuine.
    His biggest problem is that he is naive and really weak. It's sad.

11. SHNXX macrumors 68000

12. numlock, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015

numlock macrumors 68000

in terms of the nonsense that is modern politics you would really have to praise the clinton campaign for taking that extremely non sexist comment and making into this big a deal.

but i would say that is the real issue here as well as highlighting how pathetic hillary truly is.

hillary giving some soundbites to lure in the progressives are nothing but that.

that vise president comment was pretty lame though because she should be as far away from power positions as possible and the bernie campaign for some reason is afraid to go at her full force.

13. numlock macrumors 68000

i wouldnt say really weak but obviously negative campaigns isnt something he uses.

14. Meister Suspended

Meister

The black lives matter incident.
    Now he apologizes to the wicked witch of the west for no explicable reason... it's so weak it's sad.

Got nothin to do with negative campaigning.

15. numlock, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015

numlock macrumors 68000

i must say i didnt really pay attention to the whole black lives matter incident. so no comment there.

i agree its weak and sad but im not sure i agree that i would describe him that way. as far as negative campaigning i was referring to letting her off the hook in the debate when the email scandal was the topic. if he hadnt that might very well have been the talking point days later instead of this.

he also let her create this whole sexism issue in the debate and his team obviously didnt foresee that becoming an issue and that shows naivety.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

8% of Denmark is an immigrant - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Denmark

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Obama actually did attract a lot of comments that embodied racism with a thin veneer. A lot of it wasn't from racist people. It was from people trying to appeal to the racists, which just made them reprehensible. Examples would be over-emphasis on his middle name during the 2008 campaign and claims that his real identity is "Barry Sarturo". These would not have gained traction without their appeal to closet racists.

You should be able to see the difference here. Bernie doesn't try to appeal to a crowd that believes women should have important aspects of their lives dictated by gender roles.

18. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Bernie has been comfortably re-elected for decades by his 99.9% lily-white constituency. He isn't ready for the rough tumble of real politics.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

95%. But close enough for government work.

20. numlock macrumors 68000

but then again who is? it seems only people that are as sponsored as a nascar and i think we should find that frightening.

21. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Bernie is so far removed from identity politics, during the first debate when everyone was introducing themselves and describing their families, etc, Bernie just launched into his platform goals. He's the only person in the Democratic race with a true passion for making changes, and not just adding a title to his or her name.

The Black Lives Matter bullsh!t, and now needlessly stepping away from this comment, have me worried that identity politic screechers are going to sidetrack his message too easily. But hopefully not!

22. numlock, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015

numlock macrumors 68000

so bernie should change his message based on the incumbent in specific countries?

obviously with your "free everything" phrasing its obvious you try and muddy the waters. however bernie mentions sweden and norway as well and i really cant understand why he should not because the current ruling parties in two of those countries have decided to cut benefits to immigrants or monitor borders more closely.

denmark and the usa were obviously built on quite different immigration policies.

23. Meister Suspended

Meister

Actually it's Bernie himself who's talking about "free" this and "free" that.
    And that's obviously nonsense since there is no such thing as free services.

Also the scandinavian countries are tiny and overall pretty bad to live in.

24. Meister Suspended

Meister

CIA-Barry did indeed use the name Barry Soreto earlier in his life.

While I do agree that there are certainly some racists attacking Obama for racist reasons it should not be overlooked that he appeared out of nowhere, sponsored by Wall Street and a massive media campaign and even received a Nobel Peace Price for nothing other than being elected (with the help of said sponsors).He has also been a disasterous president.

Claiming that people are racist simply because they are questioning Barry's origin and intentions is a cheap deflection.