is Best Buy authorized to handle AppleCare+ claims?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Taisiya, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Taisiya macrumors regular

I was at my local Best Buy earlier to buy a case for my new iPhone 7.

I noticed that they had little cards that said they also sold AppleCare+ plans for iPhones. The mobile dept guys were all helping other customers(the line was 5 deep, so I didn't bother waiting)

The card said this on the back: "To receive AppleCare product support or service, schedule a reservation at a Best Buy store, visit an Apple Store, call Apple at 1-800-275-2273, or visit Apple.com/support"

My question: is Best Buy authorized to handle AppleCare+ claims? Does this mean Apple lets Best Buy Geeksquad guys perform repairs on iPhones? (something that sends chill down my spine, based on my previous experiences with them repairing my TVs, under Geeksquad service plans)

2. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

they are an authorized repair center now. but since i don't trust best buy i still will go to an apple store regardless of the wait time.

3. Taisiya thread starter macrumors regular

since there is currently no Apple Store in my city, I guess my best option is to ship it back to Apple for repairs. well, there are two Apple authorized repair places, according to Apple's website. However, I trust those two places even less than Best Buy Geeksquad. :(

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, Im with you on that.
    I'd rather go directly to Apple than those 3rd party places.

5. Taisiya thread starter macrumors regular

nearest Apple Store is exactly 100 miles from my house, according to Google Maps... so I guess it's not that bad. :) although... at 9mpg with today's premium gas price, it'll cost me around $60 in gas for the round trip. :(

6. noobinator macrumors 601

Do you drive a 1968 Ford Pickup?

7. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I had a Nissan Titan (5.6L) for a rental when my car was rear-ended (free upgrade cuz they didn't have a subcompact in stock). Babied that thing in the CA desert (flat) and I got 12mpg... thought that was bad...

I too would go to an Apple store over Best Buy anyday.

8. Europa13 macrumors 6502

Call Apple. They will let you know what the easiest option is. They shipped me a replacement phone a few years ago since my closest Apple Store is a little over 100 miles away. I shipped the old one back in the same box.

I needed to have a screen replaced about six months ago and was able to get a replacement phone ordered through my local Simply Mac since since they are authorized to handle Apple Care+ claims. Apple shipped it overnight.

9. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

I think Best Buy can inspect your phone, but they will send it off to Apple
    Think Best Buy can process your request, but ultimately Apple will service your phone

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Do it through the mail or if you want you can do an advance replacement if you have a credit card that they can put a temporary hold on.

11. Taisiya thread starter macrumors regular

no... 2009 German sedan.... but I like your idea better. always wanted one of those vintage American pick-up in mint condition. neighbor has a 1950s Chevy pick up in bright original red color...
    --- Post Merged, Dec 5, 2016 ---
    I'm a newbie to iPhones. What kind of replacement iPhones do they send out for AppleCare+ replacements? I assume it's a refurbished unit, but is it usually in good condition?

12. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

i'd rather wait 1 1/2 hrs at an apple store then go to an "authorized" place

13. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Agreed. Authorized retailers seem to differ from What Apple will tell you directly. Plus, it's better to allow Apple handle the situation directly, with less hands on the device.

14. Taisiya thread starter macrumors regular

you mean if my iPhone screen cracks, the Apple store can replace the glass in just 1 1/2 hours? (assuming I have an appointment)

15. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

The refurbished 'service units' have brand new outer cases, screens, and batteries. The logic boards and other components are fixed and reused.

16. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

if you have an appointment it should just take an hour at the most.

17. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Fwiw these folks are Apple trained and you receive the same 90 additional warranty you would receive for any and all repairs. The idea that the Apple Store employee by default will do a better job is just a mirage, but I'm also biased lol. Apple certified means Apple certified.

18. Taisiya thread starter macrumors regular

if I have the 2-year AppleCare+ warranty, isn't it still covered until the end of the original 2 years?

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, Applecare plus covers you for 2 full years from the date of purchase.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Yes. Though I'm unsure why you quoted me :) I was commenting on quality of service.

But anyway, not all Best Buy's are certified (yet). Those that are should be working inder Apple's standards. Best Buy also no longer is allowed or able to sell any insurance on Apple products that is not Apple Care. unfortunately that means accidental damage MacBooks are or too :(

Edit: I think I get it now. It was my 90 days comments. Sorry for the confusion. You get 90 days from repair date or the remainder of your Apple care coverage, whichever is longer. Let's say you get it repaired on the last month of your Apple care. You get another 90 days from date of service.