Is Bob Woodward over the hill?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Feb 28, 2013.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Sadly, the man who revived investigative journalism, who has had this said about him (cut/paste from Wikipedia):

seems to be losing it. He has been somewhat bored under the Obama administration (not enough scandals I guess), but, his latest criticism of Obama, that he is obeying the law and respecting the constitutional right and responsibility of Congress to set the budget, is extremely bizarre:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2013/02/27/bob_woodward_asks_why_obama_won_t_become_a_dictator_and_ignore_budget_control.html

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

This guy sounds like a moron and has 0 credibility as a "journalist".

Let me get this right: he's pissed that President Obama isn't going to babysit Congress anymore and is going to leave them to see if they can do THEIR jobs on their own?

It's exactly what he should be doing

3. rdowns, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'd say that when Tucker Carlson joins the chorus, it may be time for Mr. Woodward to shut his mouth.

EDIT: And Woodward went on Hannity. Now I know he's full of ****.

4. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

It's one thing to be hated-- in his business, if a lot of people don't hate you, or at least pretend to, you are not doing your job.

It is not nice to be disrespected. But, you have to expect some of that, too.

But, if younger people don't even know who you are? Now, that is a tough pill to swallow.

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

He just sounds like a senile old man who's trying to be mad for the sake of being mad.

6. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

So a reporter who reveals he's being threatened by the thuggery in the White House and he's the one who has lost his credibility? Ok.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

8. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I don't think he's going to beat up Woodward, but maybe cutting his access to the White House and information, possibly. Otherwise it could be a storm in a teacup.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I consider it a sign of success that both sides of an argument believe I'm biased against them.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You should really inform yourself about this guy.

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Davis of the Washington Times? Breitbart? What unimpeachable sources. :rolleyes:

It's too bad Woodward chose to pick this weird fight. He used to be a good journalist. Maybe he still is, for the most part. But that WH official is right. From the mockery Woodward is receiving, he is going to end up regretting this. To wit, from the Washington Post:

Horsehead GIFs. LOL.

14. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

So, because what he feels is a threat and announces it publicly he's no longer a good journalist? Got it.

15. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Yes that is correct. Whenever a liberal journalist gains common sense and questions this administration he will be discredited, ridiculed, demeaned and in Bob's case called senile and over the hill.

16. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Seems fair to me, and very objective.

17. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

OK, you all really don't have a clue about him, do you? You are making me feel officially very old. I thought "everyone" knew who Bob Woodward was. He still writes books (last one not so great), he has a column (kind of odd lately), he appears on TV (he's not looking so good lately, but then, neither am I). I guess he just looks like any random old guy to you young guys?

+1

He's a historical figure himself (Watergate) who has been a remarkable interviewer, getting information into the historical record that other people have not been able to get. Veil, for example. Woodward has provided a mouthpiece for the powerful, which some people find annoying, and some of his reported "conversations" are considered fictional composites, and yet, at the same time, he has been able to reach the right sources to put together a picture of what happened that is often much more revealing than intended by those same powerful people. Love him or hate him, anyone interested in history and current events ought to have read at least a couple of his books. They are all in the library.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If you're going to selectively highlight my post, it might help your cause to not quote the whole thing. Really weakens your case.

19. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Not sure why you included me in your quote list. Perhaps you didn't detect the sarcasm in my post.

I voted for Nixon, so I certainly know who Bob Woodward is (he's Robert Redford, right, as opposed to Carl Dustin Bernstein? :) )

20. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Touche'