Is calling a black man "not grown up" the same as saying "boy?"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Oct 30, 2012.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I thought Rush Limbaugh's barely concealed racist "man-child" comments were bad, but this is the wife of the Republican candidate for President basically saying the first black president is a 'boy'.

To those on the right, how was she "misunderstood?"

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

In the interest of being proper, is there another source besides Mother Jones? Got to make sure we keep this as objective as possible. ;)

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I am not getting any racist correlation you are trying to make from this. You are grasping at straws here.

All I get is she is saying that Obama is not grown-up or not experienced enough or knowledgeable to fix the economy. We need to get a grown-up in there who is experienced and knowledgable to get it fixed.

That is all I'm seeing in her comments.

4. classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

Yes, everything is racist! It doesn't matter whether it's using the word 'Chicago' or accusing the President of growing the food stamp roles, or just disliking his policies generally... it's ALL RACIST! Don't you know, all conservatives are racists, all libertarians are racists... we all hate black people period. EVERY critique we offer of the President is a critique we never would have uttered if there was a white Democratic President... only black. :rolleyes:

This smacks of Chris Matthews' recent idiocy - racism is around every corner... the only way you could possibly not like Obama or his policies is if you're a closet neo-NAZI.

No one would ever DARE to say that another politician was 'not a grown up' if they weren't in fact using it as a racist 'boy' attack. :eek:

---

This is just getting sad, and pathetic... the closer the race gets, the more the left falls back on their old crutch of racism accusations. Can't win in the arena of ideas? Demonize your opponent, or even better... his wife!

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We have a grown up in the White House- one who was not born with a silver spoon and one who kept us from sliding off the cliff. Bush junior was a child though, that's for damn sure, and Romney and his wife look no different, given their childish comments.

6. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Why does she not (or Mother Jones not) include the word "at" after "look"?

7. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I agree with you here. Mother Jones is a) Preaching to the choir and b) trying to get clicks with this type of stuff.

But, let's not pretend this is a left thing. There is ridiculousness coming from the right side as well. It's stupid and reading this garbage is making us all look stupid. And in the next week, I have a feeling we'll be seeing more and more of this crap. And for goodness sakes, will someone tell Donald Trump to ****.

And seriously, Romney (especially Romney) can be beaten in the arena of ideas and projections are saying he will be beaten. :D

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wait just one minute. If anyone can't win in the arena of ideas, it's the current GOP, which has offered absolutely nothing. When all someone like Ann Romney has is this comment, that's sad.

I agree, it's not racist. But it most definitely is pathetic and childish.

9. classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

Glad you agree. However, I think you're wrong that the race baiting isn't a 'left thing.' It most certainly is. Jesse Jackson? Al Sharpton? Chris Matthews? Try turning on MSNBC for more than an hour or so without hearing some kind of race-baiting... you can't.

As for stupid unfounded attacks, yo're quite right... both sides play to the lowest common denominator. It's disgusting and prevents honest conversation.

Both parties flail wildly when they can't argue ideas, they just demean and belittle their opponent.
    Glad you agree it's not racist as well. Wait... did you just call her childish? As in 'not grown up?' ;)

To the OP, maybe you should shed some light on how YOU took her statements? Blatant racism apparently?

10. mcrain, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Ok, is Rush Limbaugh calling Obama a man-child or saying he's a man of leisure racist? How many ways can you call someone boy or lazy or not as intelligent?

Edit - by the way, the mother jones link has the actual audio, so that's a pretty solid source.

As an aside, I think Mitt Romney should be disqualified to be president because as an adult he chose to be a member, no, a high ranking member of a church that was openly racist and discriminatory. As an adult, he chose to perpetuate racism.

(1978 was the year the Mormons decided to "allow" black members to fully participate. FYI Mitt was 31.)

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Is he not? :confused:

I mean yes, I know he's reached the age of majority, but what is it you're getting at here?

12. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Can you name any historical terms that were used as derogatory terms for black men?

Here, I'll start you out. Boy is one.

13. 184550 Guest

Sorry, I really don't see how what Ann Romney said was racist. :confused:

How victimized is one feeling today?

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This post needs sourcing, please provide specific examples.

After coming from a thread about the dog whistles of racial politics, this one gives me a hangover.

Was Ann Romney being disrespectful? Sure, but racist? No.

Rush lacks the benefit of the doubt, so I wouldn't be surprised that the drug-addled misogynist is also a racist, but his weird "man child" comments are also not racist, per se.

15. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Jeez! Your really reaching here. By that note we should disqualify Obama because he sat in the racist church of Rev. Wright.

You are proving that the left is way more into using the race card then the right. I honestly could care less about Obama's skin color or trying to infer that because someone said "grown-up" they must mean Obama is a "boy". I just disagree with his policies. Oh wait that is racist. :rolleyes:

16. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Actually, there is a difference. Rev. Wright said some incredibly bad things as the pastor. That doesn't necessarily mean everyone he preached to agreed with him. Would you vote for Rev. Wright? Then why is ok to vote for Brother Romney? He was an adult missionary of the Mormon church trying to convert people to a religion that openly discriminated.

Personally, I think Ann Romney's statement was either very insensitive, or perfectly designed to appeal to those who look down upon the president.

17. 184550 Guest

Are those suppose to be synonyms for 'racist' or 'racism' too now?

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Can you point to statements by Wright that were racist?

That means you care some.

Disagreeing with his policies is not racist, but saying the president is a "halfrican-American" is.

19. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Ok, put the insults and racially charged rhetoric aside for a moment...

The Republican party is currently engaged in a massive, systematic effort to disenfranchise predominantly minority voters. This is an effort that could have come from a history book's description of the Jim Crowe laws.

Care to address that?

20. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

If Obama disagreed with the man, I don't think he'd give a "shout-out" to him during a speech.

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

22. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That's news to me. Where I grew up (in the US), we used "boy" to refer to a male. Any male. *shrug*

I've heard plenty of derogatory terms used to refer to black men, but "boy" was never one of them.

23. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

No, it's absolutely not. I've called people of all ethnic backgrounds words like "immature"...essentially the same as "not grown up". That doesn't make it a racist comment. While I disagree with her somewhat silly assertions given Obama has 4 more years of Presidential experience than her husband, I don't see it anything like calling the president "boy".

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You've got to be kidding. Well, now you know.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090121064917AAjV7sE