Is "camping" looked down upon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Italianblend, Sep 3, 2014.

?

What is your general opinion on "camping?"

1. I think it's a fun story, but would never do it myself

35 vote(s)
    13.6%
  2. I would like to camp someday for a launch if I have the time

30 vote(s)
    11.6%
  3. I have camped before

36 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. It's a first world problem; these people need to find greater meaning in life

79 vote(s)
    30.6%
  5. To each his/her own

64 vote(s)
    24.8%
  6. Other (or: this poll is horrible)

14 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

You see on your local news that people are camping out for a new iPhone device a week before release. You

1) roll your eyes
    2) get jealous that you don't have the time to do it yourself
    3) lose all respect for them
    3) other

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

A day or two before it launches is fine by me. Any longer and I question why.

3. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

Who cares? Lol the people out there waiting with you definitely won't look down on you and the nosy people asking what's going on (when the sun starts to rise) will envy you because they're on their way to work. That's my motto anyway, I didn't care when I did it.

I've camped out before, twice actually. For the 3GS and last year for the 5S though for the 5S I did it at the AT&T store near me.

Both times were awesome and it was a cool experience. I think if you have the time and are free definitely camp out at least once. One day it'll be a cool story and you can at least say "I've did that too!"

Lastly I never camped out longer then a day. It was always at like 10pm-until store opening.

4. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I've camped once before. Well, not really CAMPED.. got up at like 4AM. However, I prefer waiting in my house for Fedex. :)

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

The iPhone 5 was the only iPhone I have ever camped out for and I went to the apple store after I got off work at 11pm, so got there at 11:30p and doors opened at 8am.

I got my iPhone and they still had some available later that day, waiting in line more than 24hrs is unnecessary. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed camping out because I was the only one who upgraded but a few of my friends joined me and the atmosphere of everyone there socializing and kind of there for the same reason was rather nice. I'm used to waiting in log lines for Games and Concerts, just something about being there amongst people who enjoy the same thing as you is fun.

6. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

It is the definition of pathetic in my opinion. How can "you" as a sane person think you can't wait an extra few days. It makes absolutely no sense?

The people camping out for an electronic are very sad.

Probably only doing it so they can write about it in their blog.

7. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

It's people like you who probably discourage people around you from attempting new things because of your limited perspective.

The only thing "sad" is people who judge other people because it's not something they would or COULD do.

If we only have one life to live I refuse to live it by someone else's standards of what's right or wrong. Lol camping out is "sad" - No world wars, hate, disease, ignorance is sad.

8. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Fixed

I agree.

9. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Eh, if someone has the time and wants to camp, so be it. I'd never be so arrogant as to determine what is or is not a valid use of someone else's time and resources. That, to me, is sad.

10. stuffradio macrumors 65816

You need a comma after the 'No', otherwise you're saying no World wars is sad.

11. techn9ne macrumors member

Not that it has any real effect on me, I just can't help but feel this type of stuff is ridiculous. Maybe not as silly as camping out for a pair of sneakers, but pretty close. It's consumerism to an unnecessary degree in my opinion.

12. mhdena macrumors 6502

13. SusanK macrumors 68000

It as no appeal for me but. If people enjoy then that's cool for them.

14. cebseb macrumors regular

I have a friend that targets every major electronic device release that may have limited availability. He has about 80 people under his employ which he sends out to key cities in the US to queue up for him (a majority of them in New York, LA, and Vegas. For example, last year he paid a premium of $150 for every gold iPhone his employees were able to purchase on release day. In turn, he sold each gold iPhone to his regular clients in China and Hong Kong for an average profit of $900 on each unit.

In my opinion, lining up for an iPhone falls under three camps

1) fanatacism
    2) a call for attention
    3) business

15. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

I would guess so, except that Woz (definitely over 25) is usually at the front of the line at the Valley Fair Apple Store on launch day. Of course, he just shows up and no one objects when he cuts in front. :apple:

My office is within walking distance of an Apple Store. I could actually camp out overnight and still show up for work, but I'm also at an age where camping in front of a retail store holds zero appeal for me.

I'd much rather sit at home and wait for Apple's website to go live at midnight, like I did last year. A few clicks and I was done. Ordered it on Friday. Arrived on Wednesday. Instant gratification can wait.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I have camped before. Actually I do so almost every year. It was a lot easier in Iowa (read: nobody lives there) than it has been in New England.

I know a lot of people just scalp the phones. They go for quite a bit around launch time, particularly unlocked. I know the gold phones last year were selling for almost double what they retailed for. I would say that's beyond being a first world problem. Most jobs don't pay $600+ to sit around in a line for 5-10 hours (that's a minimum of $60 and hour and, AFAIK, they will sell you two, effectively doubling your hourly rate).

17. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

ive gotten up early but i don't think id ever camp, showing up on release day has always worked for me.

18. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

That wasn't my post...

That was his, and I noticed the mistake. I wasn't fixing his grammar I was "fixing" (editing) the part of the sentence in blue.

19. iBanker macrumors regular

20. cynics macrumors G4

I think its pretty silly and crazy people have time to dedicate to that. However if thats what someone feels like doing with their time then more power to them.

I would actually rather be working (which I don't enjoy btw) then sitting outside forced to make conversation with those people. :D

21. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

You can show up the day of and still get the phone, so I don't really understand it.

22. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

I don't understand camping whether for several days or just 12 hours. I don't feel a desire to have a new product the minute it becomes available to the public. I am more than content to wait several weeks for the hype to die down and make my purchase. My current phone does everything I need it to do and while the new phone may offer some amazing, life changing improvements for me; they are improvements I can survive a few weeks or months without. It gives me a chance to get feedback and do research on an actual production model rather than just guesses, prototypes, and "leaked" information. Also, I stopped buying first release models a long time ago so I can get a real world look at any problems that might occur and that includes everything not just electronics.