Is Catalina as bad as it looks on this board?

fsinclaire

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2019
I installed Catalina a few months ago on a 2017 iMac. It's fine. The only "issue" is it may be incompatible with some of your software. In my case, the only affected apps I particulalry cared about losing were Microsoft Word & Excel, but at a suggestion by someone at mac-forums, I downloaded SoftMaker's free office suite, and that works fine and accepts all my Microsoft docs.

The OS seems to me faster and cleaner. It just feels better. It's the first upgrade for me since Leopard that really feels different. I like it.

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Or are you simply failing to see the higher than normal amount and nature of complaints about this particular OS?
'higher than normal'... what is that compared to? the 'real world'? the people on this forum? and yes, there are some issues related to the end of the 32bit era. but where are you getting your numbers from?

speculation is fine, but call it what it is. some people have serious issues, some don't... as with previous mac os'es.

now i will get back to work, on both my macs, running catalina, (mostly) without issue. :cool:

Reactions: cygy2k

matamoris

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2011
Or are you simply failing to see the higher than normal amount and nature of complaints about this particular OS?
Do we have any data to support that, or is it just anecdotal? This forum blows up with complains after each macos release, but it's not obvious to me that the complaints are more numerous this time around.

Reactions: cygy2k

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Do we have any data to support that, or is it just anecdotal? This forum blows up with complains after each macos release, but it's not obvious to me that the complaints are more numerous this time around.
all of it is anecdotal. so, perhaps... more issues than previously. or perhaps more ppl on this forum than previously. or...

it doesn't matter, since no one has the numbers. more important (i think, anyway), is... to discuss the issues, and get help.

instead of pointless rants.

xnsys

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2018
I guess I do, technically - judging by the help-desk management software we use - just pulling out statistics over the past 10 years, the past 3 months has seen a substantial higher number of incidents raised for Mac - the same happened when 10.10 was first released and then quietened down...but not really surprising given that the majority of the issues effected the corporate world, and not so much the home user world.

Reactions: MacUser2525