Is charging faster using the USB-C charger?

JimmyBanks6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2017
Fairly annoyed that Apple refuses to package USB-C with their devices yet their computers are all USB-C.

Would the USB-C Apple Watch charger, charge faster than the packaged USB-A? Or are both limited to 5W?

zmon

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013
Louisiana
It's the same, I believe even the standard 5w may be a bit throttled due to the battery size. At the very least, I haven't noticed a difference charging it with my 18w or mbp chargers with the usb-c cable compared to the 5w/usb-a cable.

Reactions: JimmyBanks6

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Charging speed depends on the wattage of the charger adapter. You can use a 10 watt or 12 watt iPad charger with nearly any model iPhone and get faster charging speeds.

iPhone 8 and newer can also use "Fast Charging" - this requires the combination of a USB-C to Lightning cable PLUS a higher-wattage USB-C power adapter (Apple 18W, 29W, 30W, 61W, or 87W USB-C Power Adapter, according to https://support.apple.com/HT208137).

Ericdjensen

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield,VA
Charging speed depends on the wattage of the charger adapter. You can use a 10 watt or 12 watt iPad charger with nearly any model iPhone and get faster charging speeds.

iPhone 8 and newer can also use "Fast Charging" - this requires the combination of a USB-C to Lightning cable PLUS a higher-wattage USB-C power adapter (Apple 18W, 29W, 30W, 61W, or 87W USB-C Power Adapter, according to https://support.apple.com/HT208137).
This is the Apple Watch board

Reactions: TheSkywalker77

JimmyBanks6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2017
It's the same, I believe even the standard 5w may be a bit throttled due to the battery size. At the very least, I haven't noticed a difference charging it with my 18w or mbp chargers with the usb-c cable compared to the 5w/usb-a cable.
Thank you

Itinj24

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I find the Apple Watch to charge relatively fast even with the packaged cable and 5w brick. Are you finding it to charge slow? Maybe there’s another underlying issue.

TheSkywalker77

Contributor
Sep 9, 2017
Wouldn't fast charging absolutely destroy your batter life though? Especially on such a small battery. From my understanding, fast charging degrades your battery faster.

Abazigal

macrumors G5
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Fairly annoyed that Apple refuses to package USB-C with their devices yet their computers are all USB-C.

Would the USB-C Apple Watch charger, charge faster than the packaged USB-A? Or are both limited to 5W?
Charged my watch using the usb-C charger out of a 60-W charger. Can't say I noticed any improvement in the charging speed.