Is Classic Buckle unpopular or did they make a LOT of them?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by KauaiBruce, Apr 10, 2015.

1. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I am surprised that its shipping estimates have still not slipped from the 4/25-5/8 dates. I think it has a classic elegant design. Do people think the leather looks too thick?

It probably WAS easier to manufacture than some of the others.

Did anyone see any SS with Black Sports Band with earlier dates than the 4-6 weeks? I saw the white one for a while but it slipped to later.

2. 949011 macrumors member

Yeah I think they made LOTS of them because it was very popular among people before pre-order, and it's still shipping 4/24-5/8! (Just my guess though with no evidence.)

3. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

I've never been fond of the old fashioned buckle bands. And I didn't even look at the black sport band SS. I went straight for the white and got a 4/24-5/8 estimate, then went and separately ordered a link bracelet with a 2-4 week estimate. Now to see what really happens.

4. gusping macrumors 6502

I went for the classic buckle 42. Now to wait....

5. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

What's strange is I bought a classic buckle (band only) on the side within 2 minutes of the app going live and it has a shipping date of "May" (no date range, just May).

6. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I went with the classic buckle. I think apple made a lot of them. Granted, I would have thought they made a lot of the space gray, and those seemed to be done within 1 minute.

7. Dallo17 macrumors newbie

Same here. :cool:

8. gusping macrumors 6502

high five, you have good taste!:D

9. KauaiBruce thread starter macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I just took a good look at it today for the first time and fell in love with it. I love the thickness of the leather.

10. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

The classic 42mm is now 4 - 6 weeks ... the 38mm still has launch day.

I am surprised how long it took for that one to sell out. I guess many people are just starting to settle for it now.

11. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I think there must've been production issues with them - maybe with the coating?

12. KauaiBruce thread starter macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

13. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Perhaps.

I think it looks great, so it was my first choice after the SS link (mainly because I wanted the space black Watch itself)

Hopefully the leather is of great quality.

14. cardfan macrumors 65816

I don't like magnetic bands. Don't like steel on my wrist either. So leather classic it is. Plus it'll stay tight on my wrist. I'll grab a rubber band later.

15. gusping macrumors 6502

This

16. KPOM macrumors G5

The 38mm was still in the initial wave when I placed my order at 3:00
    PDT. My guess is that they made a lot of them. It's called a "classic" band for a reason. The Sport are all in June, which to me means demand was good, as lots of people will just get the cheapest version, particularly after the reviews that "warned" that this is a Gen 1 device that will likely get better next year. The pricier bands like the space black are also June, which to me means that they held back production to figure out who would actually buy them.

17. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

I wish Apple would make the classic buckle with matching aluminium lugs for Sport Watch users. As I'm not getting the stainless Watch, I would also enjoy a classier leather band without the visual discontinuity of mixing polished stainless and brushed alu.

One can always dream, eh? ;)

18. Mr.C macrumors 601

I was thinking the same thing about the magnet based straps until I tried on the leather and milanese loop bands today. I love how the magnets work and make it simpler to take the watch off and put it on. Plus they are very strong and I don't think there is any chance of them coming undone. I've preordered the blue leather loop as a second band but I also really want to get the milanese loop as well. I'm not sure if I can justify both though. I find metal bands normally uncomfortable as they pinch the hairs on my wrist but the milanese loop didn't seem to do that.

19. Gooberton macrumors 65816

The classic buckle is strait UGLY. For that price you can have all class with the Milanese loop.

20. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

4+ hours after preorder started and the 38mm Classic buckle is STILL available for release day delivery!

----------

They really should have done each different watch square with a black sports band and then sold all other straps piecemeal. I would think this would make the entire supply and distribution chain so much easier.

21. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

Slept through my alarm but still got my pre-order for 4/24
    SS w/ black classic buckle 38mm

22. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

23. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

In your opinion. In my opinion it looks brilliant (which is why I ordered one :))

24. AaronChicago macrumors member

Yes. I managed to squeeze in a preorder on the SS black sport band with April 24-May 8 estimated shipping.

25. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Luckily it was the only one still with launch window delivery for me. I forgot my alarm and woke up at 3:28(EST). Looked at my favorites in the app and that one still had launch availability, so I ordered. Then I made a second order for a black sport strap only with 2-4 week delivery.