Is cleaning for hair, dust and crumbs under the MBPr keyboard difficult?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I've used a keyboard cover for my 13" MBPr for several years, and no problems.

Was thinking about going naked, but am concerned about cleaning.

2. j1104638 Suspended

It's not difficult, it's pretty much impossible. You cannot detach keyboard from the top case without breaking it because it's riveted to the top case.

Removing the keys one by one is possible, but will not help much and is quite risky - I've seen a lot of times when reattached keys were deformed. And I'm not even Apple serviceman (aka I've not seen that many tries).

However using MBP for years without any such protection case haven't led to trashing the keyboard in my case. And I use it without any piety.

3. campyguy macrumors 68030

Use the right cleaning tools, and going naked isn't a problem. I own the MDV-3BA (900 Watt) version of this bad boy: https://www.metrovacworld.com/Data_Vac_Pro-MDV-1BA/overview

Made in the US by a company that's been in business since 1939 - they'll be here tomorrow. Anti-static suction options. Lots of attachments. Light.

It cleans my Mac and my Benz - this thing sucks, in a good way. Buy the right tool, and you'll be good.

4. j1104638 Suspended

LOL, 312.5$ tool to clean Mac's keyboard. This is sooo :apple:.

5. monstruo macrumors regular

monstruo

Well, I think most of us learn to live with it. Be discipline and don't eat in front of your MPB :(

6. campyguy macrumors 68030

Funny, that, and with no other helpful solution to offer - nice. They also sell a $50 vacuum with attachments that'll do the job, and the .75HP version of my unit is a lot cheaper too. I run a small office, mine's used with a HEPA filter for our several printers, about 30 PCs/Macs - and my Benz. And, I expensed it, so no cost to me...

AS tools don't come cheap. My Festool dust extractor that I use in my shop has an AS hose that cost over $100. Use a Black & Decker vacuum, but don't forget to roll the dice first. I like my work environment AS free, having seen first-hand what static electricity will do to electronics. Using the wrong tool for the job or no tool whatsoever, that's just so idiotic IMHO...

7. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

I didn't realize people vacuumed their computers

8. campyguy macrumors 68030

Yep. My printer service sends out a guy from time to time under warranty - he grounds himself, uses AS gloves, and cleans the two print servers too - the print room is our cleanest room in the building...

You can use a blower or canned air, but you're vacuuming up the crap sooner or later, right? :D

9. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Not really but whatever floats your boat man