Is COD4MW Worth $40? Are a lot of People Even Playing Online?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HappyDude20, Dec 1, 2011.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

It's finals week and i'm procrastinating by wanting to play a video game. I only have a Mac so am considering getting this game.

Truth is, i've got my studies under control and can play a game for a bit; though i'm only a fan of playing online with others. Just wondering if people are still playing this game online and if its even worth it.

2. xTRIGGER092x macrumors regular

It's not worth $40. It's a great game, but it's four years old. No game that old is worth paying that much for.

However, a physical copy can be had for quite a bit cheaper; if you buy from Amazon, you can get it for $23 (before shipping), and there's a Buy It Now listing on eBay for a used copy right now for $19.00 (shipping and all). It's debatably worth it for those prices, because $20 is actually what the PC/PS3/360 versions typically go for these days.

And yes, people still play. CoD4 for Mac has crossplay with PC players, so you'll have no trouble finding games whatsoever.

3. robk64 macrumors newbie

robk64

Worth it? Nope.

No. Your best bet would be to download Steam (free), then purchase Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (not free) --- when they include a free copy of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. I know, you need Windows (not free) to play those versions. Invest in Vista or Windows 7 and run Bootcamp (included with OSX since Leopard, I believe).
    I've played both the Mac version (port) of COD4MW and the Windows version. Same game, same 2007 MacBook Pro. But for some reason, it ran like crap on the Mac side. Booted up to Windows, and it ran very well.

The other good thing about Steam - when they're not being hacked - is that they have a list of games that can be played under both OSX and Windows. So if you want to play online with your PC friends, you can - without Bootcamp. Portal 2 Coop is a good example of that.

Just a suggestion.

4. jcbhammond macrumors member

I'd say go for it. I was able to get it on sale, but still feel like I payed a little too much for an older game. That said, I never have to worry about the disk scratching or going missing. And am able to load it on any future computer. As for players, there seems to me to be a lot of people who continue to play, saying they prefer it over the newer COD games. In the end I'm happy. I've gotten hours of playing time out of it, just wish it was a couple dollars cheaper.