Is dock connector damage under warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by metzy25, Apr 30, 2012.

1. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

My dock connector on my iPhone 4s I screwed, the charger on it doesn't go all the way in and the pics in the dock are all messed up, but I haven't done one thing to screw it up. Is this covered under apples warranty?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It will (should) be covered if they determine the cause was a manufacturing defect.

Although, I must admit, unless it was broken out-of-the-box, I really fail to see how it couldn't be due to accidental damage in one way or another.

As an aside, have you tried a different cable?

3. metzy25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

metzy25

Yes I've tried 3 different ones. Honestly I haven't done one thing to it, there's nothing else wrong with my phone, and I'm not trying to get a refurb. It's been gettin worse slowly over time.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I know this was a known problem with the EVO for Sprint... the contacts would break right off. Not sure I have heard of it happening with the iPhone though.

5. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

yes it is covered under warranty, speaking from experience when something damaged the pins on my old 3G, they replaced it.

One thing to do is make sure you take a look at your accessories before you plug it into your new phone, to make sure none of them are causing you to have bent pins. I imagine that apple keeps track of the cause of why you needed a replacement (they usually put a one liner of the cause) but I don' think they will be too happy if you try and go in again for the same reason.