Is Donald Trump a Fascist?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Dec 3, 2015.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

There is a new thought-provoking opinion piece in the New York Times regarding Donald Trump:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/03/opinion/campaign-stops/is-donald-trump-a-fascist.html

It is a bit long to quote everything. Here is an excerpt:

The challenge the article concludes with is how to make sure Trump "never has a point".

2. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

The large number of people voicing their support for him saddens me. Then again, I've never really had a very high regard for the intelligence level of the populace.

3. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Fascism came to the United States not draped in the flag, carrying a cross, but instead with a bad toupee, and a spray on tan.

I'm a bit confused about Trump. While some of the rhetoric he's spouting does lean in that direction, I'm not sure if he intends to act upon it, or if he's stirring the pot to get votes. Trump is first and foremost a reality TV celebrity who made his fortune in the real estate business. He knows how to exploit some emotions.

One thing's for sure, if he's not, he's paving the road for someone who is. At the very least, he's helped create a culture of anger and fear that won't go away even if he doesn't act upon to his own hype.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Trump will not get the GOP nomination. However, when he doesn't he'll likely run as an independent and draw the Trumpkin vote away from the GOP. Cakewalk, Hillary.

That said, I think people throw around the word "fascist" when they really have no idea what fascism means.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I'm reading through the article now, and even it kind of agrees with you. His political beliefs might not be fascistic exactly, but the way he's building up a cult of personality around himself based upon fear and xenophobia, bypassing the ideological safeguards the American Right has in place against it because he's not truly of the American Right, does make you want to arch an eyebrow.

6. FieldingMellish Suspended

NY Times, echoing its base, is utterly beside itself that Trump remains standing.

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Wait, what? You're actually reading the article you're commenting on? What kind of sick weirdo are you?

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Read the article. It makes a good point.

Well, I commented first before I read it, so I'm not ALL that weird...

9. FieldingMellish Suspended

Forgive me for being a victim of shrill left wing media Trump drop-out fatigue, from media that constantly invents new ways to deal with its disillusionment.

10. dec., Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015

dec. Suspended

dec.

11. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Well then how about you skip to 1:40 and watch Fox News hosts stare dumbfounded as Trump talks about killing families.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think Trump is going to win the nomination. He's been top since mid July.

Difficult to know how much Rubio isn't just taking off Bush.

image.png

13. Happybunny macrumors 68000

The first fascist in Europe was Benito Mussolini, and D Trump's words and actions do bear a remarkable similarity to ll Duce. (Even down to the pouting)

14. FieldingMellish Suspended

"Death to America" hasn't stopped our President Obama from giving billions (billions!) to a rapidly nuclearizing Iran, so words apparently aren't being taken seriously.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Source that Obama has given taxpayers money to Iran.

Of course let's not forget Iran is probably the most secular country in the Middle East.

16. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Yep. For a while now I've thought he was a massive Benny.

17. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Excuse this is not quite on topic.

I would like to thank you because it’s your type of posts that first brought me to this forum.

I first learnt English as my fourth language more than 50 years ago.

I had no idea what a Benny was, so I had to look it up, via the internet. Even at 70 you are never to old to learn.

Like on your profile “Sarf London”

Just the other week there was a program on the TV about the Battesea Power Station, there was a clip from an UK/BBC report 1950/60’s and one of the people said “Sarf London” the BBC reporter said he means SOUTH London. (I saw this because we have sub-titles for all foriegn language programs)

18. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

You might not like the message but he's right. The US is fighting a politically correct war against an enemy that is exploiting that and more.

That dumbfounded look would go away fast if that guy saw a real life combat situation where ISIS hides among citizens where a mother will be cradling her infant in a room we're clearing while her 13yr old son straps on a bomb and picks up an AK in the next room. That mother cares but is more devoted to harming us and more scared of ISIS that she's willing to let it play out. Sad no matter how you look at it, but it's their way not ours.

19. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Still not an excuse to commit war crimes.

20. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

No excuse needed. In a life-or-death action while engaging the enemy, you act and react. No one is going to see a baby as a threat and kill them without cause. However if you positively ID a 13yr old with an AK they are a threat. While clearing the room in such a situation where there are uncontrollable melee of rounds being fired at you, you do the best you can at Positive ID and move on. If mom is wearing a bomb, she's a thread. If a child is carrying and AK, he's a threat. If sister is holding a remote control, she's a threat.

Anyone who disagrees is welcome to serve and live the life.

21. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Respectfully... Your comment reveals that you've no clue what war is.
    You've never experienced a lethal threat.
    Your love of liberal spin has blunted your senses.
    War Crimes... ? Get a grip!

22. FieldingMellish Suspended

Yes, War Crimes? Does that go along with Hate Crimes?

Both stupid concoctions from the left.

Meanwhile, the left abides by “The Ends Justify the Means” as written in their holy bible, Rules for Radicals.

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Yeah, because creating international laws that state we shouldn't rape and kill civilians for the entertainment of our troops, or use prisoners of war for medical or weapons research is nothing but namby pamby safe zone BS pushed by those bleeding hearts pansies who fought in WWI and WWII, penned in some liberal European country I don't give a damn about.

Everyone knows the first thing to die in war is our standards!

24. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I beat the Times to that punch weeks ago when I suggested Trump was a fascist.

But mostly, Trump is a loud-mouthed, unfiltered, egotistical, bullying idiot.

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Hey, it sells, right?