Is Donald Trump hurting himself? (thanks to Brexit)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Jun 27, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/27/politics/donald-trump-brexit-response/

Article has much more.

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Orlando, sure, but how did the Brexit offer Trump (or Cankles for that matter) a "political opening?"

3. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

It gave him a chance to act like a proper head of state, showing that he had an actual grasp on international politics. Instead he just treated it like yet another excuse to get free publicity.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I supposed he could have uttered bloodless banalities such as Hillary: "We respect the choice the people of the United Kingdom have made." Real deep analysis there.

In fact, Trump's statement that "When the pound goes down, more people are coming to Turnery" show more economic perspicacity that Hilllary's safe, cautious, and poll-tested Brexit press release.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I think the issue where he gaffed is that he was congratulating the UK, and even specifically, the people of Scotland in their voting to exit the EU...

.. When all of Scotland voted to stay in the EU. Major faux pas...

BL.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The best Donald Trump political ads are the ones where he's talking.

7. FieldingMellish Suspended

Whether faux pas or not, I'm looking forward to a pro-American Trump presidency after 8 demoralizing years of Obama's America-last sentiments, Obama's dangerous and deadly international bungling, and Obama's scary deals made for crony enrichment.

8. 617aircav Suspended

I voted for Obama twice but damn he is hell bent of turning the military into a social science project.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Trump will be pro-Trump, not pro-American. With his response to the Brexit he has made it clear that if economic chaos will help his businesses he will support it. If an economic meltdown on his watch will help him buy up property cheap it's a safe bet to say that he would support policies that would cause our economy to melt down again.

10. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

he's running for office. the press corp follows him to the bathroom. any chance he gets in front of a camera will be used for both his political gains and yes his business exposure. I'm okay with both as he's both a candidate and a business man. the left exploits everything just the same if not worse.

11. FieldingMellish Suspended

You are describing world nemesis George Soros, who famously made tons of dough playing with currency. Who, by the way, has lost a bit of his gloss with his financial defeat on Brexit.

"How George Soros Lost Money In a Bad Brexit Bet"

http://fortune.com/2016/06/27/soros-pound-brexit/

Trump will do no such thing as benefiting from politics the way that Democrats are extraordinarily good at doing.

(Boeing deal one of the more recent).

12. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

You do know you can't run business while being president don't you? so no he has a choice be a president or be a business man he can't be both.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 28, 2016 ---
    really so trump didl to admit he profits when america fails? seems you missed that announcement.

13. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I think technically his kids now run the business.

14. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

not if you listen to him.

15. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Sue him.

16. Raid, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016

Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

It seems GW Bush did a lot of international bungling himself (Iraq war "mission accomplished", or unwanted personal contact with the Chancellor of Germany), and made many deals for crony enrichment (Haliburtion). What are your examples for Obama?

Oh, oh that made me laugh so much! Please tell me that's a joke. Oh man, a business tycoon bent on personal glory will not abuse his power to benefit himself. Oh that's... priceless!

17. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

No trump has that tied up

18. FieldingMellish Suspended

Americans are dying from Obama's bungling. BIG difference.

19. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

That was the Ghancellor of Ghana. :p

20. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Geez C and G aren't even that close, typo fixed.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 28, 2016 ---
    ... and 4100 American soldiers died in Iraq from 2003 to 2008. A war based on discredited intel and pushed through by GW Bush's office. Do you actually have examples?