Is dust under the screen a manufacturing defect?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Canaan, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Canaan macrumors member

I have a spec of dust under my new iphone's screen and am wondering whether I should or could take it back and get it swapped out. The screen is kind of a huge deal and while it isn't in the very center (it's actually near the top and out of the way unless I am using it widescreen or watching video) it does bug me some. I guess the problem is I always feel like an ass when I complain about little things like this. I'm not being unreasonable am I? :cool:

2. liltechdude macrumors member

In my opinion, get it replaced.

EDIT: oh and yes this is definitely a manufacturing defect if its under the glass.

3. niteriderxp macrumors member

I have the same issue, my speck of dust is on the bottom left hand corner.

Once you get a little lint, spit, and wax on it, you won't notice that one speck so much. ;)

If you can get past the initial irritation, have it replaced when your warranty is almost out.
    That way you get a brand new looking refurbished phone almost a year later.

My iPad 2 had two bright spots a few mm big on the edge of the display.
    Had it replaced for a refurb and sold it right before getting my iPad 3.

4. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I've had two iPhones and an iPad replaced on the spot at Apple stores because of dust under the glass. Every time, I was told that Apple has a zero-tolerance policy on it.

While I can't guarantee that you'll get the same response, it's certainly worth a try!

5. StarHunter macrumors newbie

I had a dead pixel on my first phone and then the 2 remaining black replacements both had dust under the screen. I took one of them since I didnt want to be left without a phone.

Now I am wondering if I should drive down two hours to the store again given the supply issue. Does anyone know if they replace their exchange stock first before the the normal retail stock or do the exchanges come form the retail stock as well. I dont want to get down their to find out they have no replacements.

6. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I have what appears to be a small hair under the display. I'm tempted to bring it in, though I can't see it at all when the screen is off. You actually have to hold it at just the right angle to even see it. I also have some dings on the bezel out of the box. I just had a glitch with the 4G/LTE switchover also, so if it keeps that up, I'll certainly be taking it back.

Actually, the more I look at it, aside from the 2 tiny nicks it had out of the box, it is staying flawless even naked. So perhaps I will try to get a flawless one...

7. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

I would get it replaced. I read I another site where someone else had a hair under the screen. Apple replaced the iPhone 5 no questions asked.

8. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I am going to set up an appointment tomorrow afternoon. I will be near the store with a few minutes to spare.