Is DVI the same as HDMI? Looking to buy a Mini-DVI to DVI or HDMI...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SamIchi, Jun 11, 2009.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

So I have a VGA connection to my monitor from my Macbook currently cause I had a mini-dvi to vga adapter conveniently. But I heard DVI will be better, so I was looking to get another adapter.

Should get a Mini-DVI to DVI or Mini-DVI to HDMI? Would that produce the same picture cause they are both digital? I don't plan on connecting to any other diplays or tv's but would one be more versatile than the other?

Oh, and I saw that Apple doesn't make a HDMI adapter, is there a reason why not? I saw it on eBay so it made me curious. I've searched this topic, but I didn't see a thread that answered my questions.

Thanks for the input!

2. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

DVI-D and HDMI are both digital and interchangeable with adapters with no signal loss. Both can handle HDCP for Blu Ray players and such.

For instance, I can plug my PC into my HD TV just by using a DVI-D to HDMI cable, it plugs right in and works perfectly. I could also use a regular DVI-D to DVI-D cable and use an adapter on the TV side.

The only difference, aside from the pinouts, is that HDMI can carry audio with it as well. It's a nice package, one wire handles everything up to 7.1 Dolby.

The thing is I'm not sure if Mac's pass audio through HDMI.

HDMI doesn't come on a lot of computer LCD's, mainly because they don't have speakers, but it's starting to show up slowly. All HD TV LCD's have HDMI and most don't DVI-D.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

No audio pass through. The lack of of audio through the video out on Mac is the key reason Apple doesn't have a HDMI converter. The other is because a lot of its hardware is already set for DVI. I use a Mini-DVI to HDMI on my Mini to my LCD TV. I would have done DVI, but my TV doesn't support that directly. Then I have the Mini's audio go to my stereo using a RCA converter.