Is everyone selling their iPhones 4/4S before the Sep 12 announcement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by corey407woc, Sep 3, 2012.

1. corey407woc macrumors member

I figured once the public knows about the new iPhone that is going to be launched I should try and get top dollar for my iPhones on craigslist before I get screwed. I sold my 4S unlocked for $450, bought a 4 for $180 unlocked it and sold for $280. I have no phone at the moment lol but wanted to see what other people were doing if they were keeping theirs.

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I locked in a Gazelle trade-in for $300 that isn't due until 10/1 (they extended it for people waiting for the next iPhone). That's my easy way out. Otherwise I'll sell it myself on eBay after getting the new phone. Since I have a 32GB iPhone 4S (which I got unlocked by AT&T), I could easily sell it for more than $300 before or after the announcement.

3. alflavor macrumors regular

I'm not going to spend a month out of every year without my iphone - i'll just get the 5 unlocked and then sell the 4S afterwards, whatever I get for it will be just fine!

4. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

I'm waiting until after I get the iPhone 5 since I know I can get $400-$450 for my 4S

5. irDigital0l Guest

No...

buying a new phone every year is just silly :p

6. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

No. My 4S is eight months into a contract on Verizon and my 3GS is contract free on AT&T. I'll be using the AT&T upgrade for the new phone.

7. kannesss macrumors 6502a

I'm gonna have to wait for my contract after the 5S.

8. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Sold mine more than a month ago. Been playing with Android until the new iPhone hits.

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Can't do without my iPhone for too long. Last year I sold my 32GB iPhone 4 unlocked (w/ Gevey sim) on Christmas day for $420. I don't buy into that whole "the price is gonna plummet the day of release" bit. If you have a quality product and you're good at sales, you'll always get a good price.

I'm currently debating shelling out $40 to unlock my iPhone 4s. Trying to determine if I'll get my $40 back plus more.

10. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

That holds true for me. I sold my iPhone 4 back in March for $420 and got the 4S. That was some 5 months after the release of the 4S.

11. indianboynyc macrumors regular

thinking about selling my 4, since i got the 300$ i think it will still sell but i got a crack in it so idk lets see. anything over 200 and close to 300 or more would be dope since im going to prob. end up getting the bigger one. lets hope

12. gemnilocs macrumors 6502

gemnilocs

^^ this. lol!

13. supervelous macrumors 6502

I have an Iphone 4 at the moment.

I have 2 #'s with ATT on a family plan and the contracts for both are up, and I no longer want to use the 2nd line, want to cancel it. But was thinking about trying an Android or getting a 4S on the 2nd line, using it until the 5 comes out, then getting the 5 on my main line, returning the 4S from my 2nd line, then cancelling my 2nd line.

That way I could sell my 4 soon before 5 is announced for better sale value, then still have an iphone to use in the meantime.

Would that work? Anyone out there tried this before?

14. Baadshah macrumors 6502

Sold my iPhone 4 here in Denmark for 3000 kroner --> 507$:D

Now i have got an iPhone 4 from a friend who has 4S, so it's nice to get iPhone 4 sold for more than 500$$$$

In my mind I thought, dear buyer, you are an idiot.

15. JayLenochiniMac, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I've always gotten around $450 ebaying last generation 32GB (jailbroken and unlocked) about two months AFTER the new one debuts. This was true for both the 3GS and 4.

I plan to do the same with the 4S.

16. Eosblue macrumors member

I sold my IP 4 S on craigslist...

Sold mine about 3 weeks ago for $450 cash. I set the phone to forward my calls to an older phone that I use for a 2nd phone ($9.99 plus tax monthly).

Works great, but slow (it's a 3G). No data plan which I miss the most. By accident, I saw a Samsung Galaxy 3 and was blown away by the size of the screen. I'm very tempted to go that route rather than get the new IP when it comes out. I was going to get the new IP on the first wave of orders, but now I'm thinking I will take a look at it before deciding to get it or the Galaxy.

When the IP4 S came out, I waited to get it in my hands before unloading the IP4 and I think I took a bit of a bite by waiting. I DID get more than I paid for the IP4, but I think I could have gotten at least $100 more if I had sold it before the IP4 debuted.

17. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Nope, more than likely I'll just keep my old phone around for backup or what not. In the event that I do sell it, whatever money I get for it will be fine. Generally I keep my phone for the entire two years. I will not be less productive by switching to a flip phone or some other phone for a month. Work needs to get done, and my phone is my primary computer.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, you will. Just check out the price difference between locked and unlocked on ebay to see for yourself.

19. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Did that yesterday, seems to be around $100.

20. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

random, but if it is unlocked, why do you still need the gevey sim? I thought a major plus to being unlocked is not needing that.

21. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

It was unlocked USING the Gevey SIM (not factory unlocked).

22. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

23. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

Yeah, sold my at&t iPhone 4 16 gig for what I paid for it on ebay a few days ago. 300$ toward the next iPhone. Sounds good to me. Android blows btw.

Attached Files:

24. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Nope. I will await its release and then have a look at its specs under the hood and aesthetically.

I purchase my iPhones outright so the restrains of contracts do not apply to me.

In the weeks that follow the release I'll be watching this and other forums to see what early adopters think of the hardware and software along with any bugs that require ironing out.

For me it's not about owning the phone as quickly as possible, it's about knowing its right for me.

An old wise story comes to mind,

One morning an old bull and a young bull were standing high on a hilltop looking down at a large herd of cows. The young bull says "let's run down there, an sire a few of those cows"

The older bull says "no, let's walk down there and sire them all"

Patience is rewarded.