is everything getting more politicized?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by furcalchick, Oct 24, 2008.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i've been thinking about this the past few days and weeks nearing the election (and i don't want to start a obama vs. mccain argument here). more than ever, everyone seems to be putting blatant political messages into everything, into food, sports, etc, places where politics was pretty much a no-no to go into before. i'm wondering if this is just election season or if we in america have decided that political messages are acceptable everywhere, instead of being one of the three topics that we're not supposed to talk about it. i heard that back in the 60's, politics and political messages were just about everywhere, and i'm wondering if we're coming back to that. so i want to know if this is actually happening or not.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't know what you mean about politics getting into food, sports and the like, but yes, the political atmosphere is as intense as it was in the 1960s.

That was a different time, though. Today, young people are just registering to vote in massive numbers, but back then they were demonstrating in massive numbers too, and a few were into radical stuff like bombing symbols of the military-industrial complex. Conservatives were just as aggressive and jingoistic, but I recall a lot of "America: love it or leave it" crapola, and really, a lot of them lived in fear of the kids, the minorities, and the changes they saw in America. A lot of what made us what we are today -- the civil rights movement, feminism -- they were absolutely petrified of. They saw it as the downfall of America.

Much of the anti-liberal garbage we see now is considered to be "payback" for those times.

But in terms of things being politicized, read up a little on the Smothers Brothers. They were two nightclub/TV comedians who got "radicalized" and started injecting lots of politics into their otherwise folksy, plain-vanilla variety show...and they took a lot of grief for it. We'd never seen stuff like that on TV before. Everything up to then had been sanitized for your protection.

There were a lot of other examples in music and comedy, but the common thread was that "nice, clean" music and comedy were becoming radicalized and deeply political, and it scared the **** out of the hardhat-type right-wingers.

3. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

why i mentioned sports and the such is that i'm seeing more athletes, actors (although they have been speaking out for some time) and non politicians interject political messages somewhere, like showing up to obama rallies and wearing obama shirts for example. at first, i thought it was just typical election season activity, but it's like i can't get away from politics when i'm watching the baseball playoffs for example, and i don't remember that being too much of a problem in the past, even during election season. it's almost as if you don't say anything political, you're out of the loop. that's what i was talking about.

4. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

I do think this election season is different than ones in the past. Or maybe its just civility spinning out of control. You read about folks like LBJ practicing bare knuckle politics, but rarely. Now, it seems nothing can get accomplished unless one side is feeding red meat to its base.

There's no one really to blame. You could point to Newt Gingrich, but you could just as easily point to George Mitchell. You could blame Clinton, you could blame Reagan. It's the way the world works now. Compromise is a dirty word. Moderation is frowned upon. Jim Hightower once said the middle of the road had only yellow stripes and dead armadillos. It also has the chalk outlines of politicians who put country above party.

mt

5. jplan2008 macrumors regular

That would be an excellent point if it were true that the Democrats were to the left of center, the Republicans to the right, and the public somewhere at center or center-right, and moving towards the right, and the media way to the left.

The problem is, that's not true. On almost every issue, the public is to the left of center -- staying stable on some issues and moving to the left on others. The Democrats are right-of-center, and the Republicans far right. The media is somewhere between center and far-right depending on the issue.

So there's a lot of compromise. The Democrats are already a compromise between what the people want and believe, and the far right.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs