Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iggi123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2019
Not sure if apple was clear about FaceID, is it 2nd gen or same as iPhone X, just with software update? I’m debating whether I should upgrade from iPhone X, if Face ID is truly 2nd gen, it might nudge me because otherwise I don’t see much difference from iPhone x

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Apple is claiming more angles and greater distances, as well as faster speed, compared to the X. That sounds a lot like Gen 2. If it's as big a change as Gen 2 TouchID (iPhone 6s) was compared to the 5S and 6, it will be a noticeable improvement.

Reactions: SRLMJ23

wicker21

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
I don't think they specifically called it new hardware, but based on the fact that it works from wider angels it sure seems so. I expect almost all reviews that come out next week to mention something about it and make a comparison against the X, XS, and XR.

Reactions: borntrouble

aFlockaCgulz

Suspended
Aug 21, 2019
Just to be sure...you know FaceID is not handled by the A13 Chip...

IMHO Apple would most likely have said so if the hardware changed.

The processor is part of unlocking the phone via FaceID.

Face ID is based on a facial recognition sensor that consists of two parts: a dot projector module that projects more than 30,000 infrared dots onto the user's face, and an infrared camera module that reads the pattern.[4] The pattern is encrypted and sent to a local "Secure Enclave" in the device's CPU to confirm a match with the registered face.

It stands to reason the faster the CPU can confirm a match, the faster the device will unlock.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
If it was noticeably 2nd gen, they would have had a song and dance about it on stage to make up for the thin content. For the XS they mentioned it was updated slightly but no mention for the 11 Pro. My money's on there being practically no difference between the XS and 11 Pro.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Apple would definitely say if there's new FaceID hardware, my guess it's software based.

Just to be sure...you know FaceID is not handled by the A13 Chip...

IMHO Apple would most likely have said so if the hardware changed.

If the 2015 keynote that spent 10 seconds announcing Gen 2 TouchID is any indication, no, Apple would definitely not have said there was new hardware. OTOH, the improvements didn't even get the 10 seconds that Gen 2 TouchID got in 2015 at this year's keynote. On the other other hand, no one was giving Apple **** about TouchID, as far as I can recall. There's been a huge pile of grief here and elsewhere about FaceID, and Apple might be reluctant to imply that the critics were even partly right. Who knows right now...we'll probably find out when iFixit tears one apart.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Face ID is just faster due to faster cpu. I guess more angles will help. But it’s not gen 2

Nothing will be as fast as Touch ID gen 2. Man. If they had A13 with gen 2 tough ID. Would be blazing fast.

I still prefer Touch ID gen 2 even though I have gotten used to xs max the past 12 months. It’s not the same. My pixel 3 XL finger print ID is also blazing fast.

I’m in the operating room most of
The day and Face ID sucks cause of the face mask we have to wear.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Face ID is just faster due to faster cpu. I guess more angles will help. But it’s not gen 2

Nothing will be as fast as Touch ID gen 2. Man. If they had A13 with gen 2 tough ID. Would be blazing fast.

I still prefer Touch ID gen 2 even though I have gotten used to xs max the past 12 months. It’s not the same. My pixel 3 XL finger print ID is also blazing fast.

I need someone to explain to me how the fastest CPU in the world would be able to improve distance and angles.

Reactions: ke-iron

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010

I wish Apple would build a phone with both. There are certain situations where TouchID worked better such as certain angles such as in car at a red light or at night when laying down sideways. FaceID works better with wet or greasy hands and privacy for on screen notifications. Why can’t we have the best of both worlds????

If you put a gun to my head, I’d take TouchID over FaceID. I’m hoping this changes with the 11 Pro.

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
I need someone to explain to me how the fastest CPU in the world would be able to improve distance and angles.
I‘m assuming that Apple updated the FaceID infrared camera (as they did the front facing camera).
So while there may be hardware based improvements along with iOS13 based improvements, the guts of FaceID (the dot projector, and flood illuminator) have assumably remained the same; so it wouldn’t make sense to specifically promote it updates as Gen 2.

Reactions: aFlockaCgulz

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
If it’s software based and they held it back from previous iPhones that’s a crappy move on apples part.

Last edited by a moderator:

aFlockaCgulz

Suspended
Aug 21, 2019

It won’t.

Best guess is that that the 30% faster FaceID is a combination of increased processing speed, slight tweaks to the TrueDepth cameras for distance and angle, along with iOS 13 enhancements.

Reactions: newellj

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Doesn’t sound like second gen.

Attachments

• 5872FDB4-34EC-4F54-8A56-56E69DC0775A.jpeg
    5872FDB4-34EC-4F54-8A56-56E69DC0775A.jpeg
    524 KB · Views: 325

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011

You should be wearing gloves as well, so both authentication methods will be problematic.
[doublepost=1568495706][/doublepost]
Doesn’t sound like second gen.

I'm on ios13 gm and I'm extremely happy with the new Face ID speed on the iphone x. Noticeably faster.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Not sure if apple was clear about FaceID, is it 2nd gen or same as iPhone X, just with software update? I’m debating whether I should upgrade from iPhone X, if Face ID is truly 2nd gen, it might nudge me because otherwise I don’t see much difference from iPhone x

Don’t think so. Just a lot faster and better viewing angles. I have an Xs Max with iOS 13 beta and FaceID unlocks a lot faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.