Is Firewire much faster than USB 2.0 for a Western Digital MyBook drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bollweevil, Aug 15, 2011.

1. bollweevil macrumors 6502

Computer: MacBook Pro purchased in November 2008

External drive: Western Digital 1 TB MyBook, purchased in November 2008

Cable options:

A. USB 2.0

B. FireWire 800 9-pin (on MacBook Pro side) to FireWire 6-pin (on external drive). I don't know if the WD MyBook is FireWire 400 or 800.

USB 2.0 is intolerably slow. Will FireWire be faster? I would have to abort a copy operation which has already taken 7 hours by USB, though nothing has been written to the destination drive yet. It is still "estimating time remaining". "Preparing to copy" took 6 hours, it has been "estimating time remaining" for 1 hour. The target drive has not spun up at all yet, it is still totally blank.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

You will probably notice a significant improvement with Firewire 400 over USB 2.0.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

For those kind of big drag and drop copies, the difference is at an extreme, and it's not uncommon to see improvements of 200-300% (see). USB2 is pretty close to FW for small files (the peak speed is technically slightly faster), but when you're talking about gigabytes of sustained data transfer, there's no comparison. Anyone who owned a firewire iPod and then got their first USB iPod can attest to that one. :(

5. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I don't know about this particular drive, but, in similar circumstances, I got about 2X with FW400. USB 2.0 is an embarrassment.