Is flashing PC video cards to use with OSX legal?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacMonster1985, Sep 12, 2009.

1. MacMonster1985 macrumors member

Apple only allows OSX to be used on Apple hardware. How is flashing a non Apple video card different to building a hackintosh?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Apple's talking about using the OS on a system purchased from them. I don't believe that Apple actually manufactures any of the hardware.

3. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Aftermarket cards can be used with a Mac without question. The computer is still an "Apple" labeled computer.

4. broken-chaos macrumors regular

broken-chaos

At most you may void the warranty (if it's still under such).

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

you're not going to get arrested if that's what you mean. You will be breaking the EULA because apple states that OSX should only be run on apple hardware.

6. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

I think they say, as pointed out above, that OS X can only be run on an "Apple" labeled computer, which it still would be. If I put a new Samsung hard drive into my machine am I breaking the EULA? I don't think so... Anyway, EULAs are ridiculous...

7. broken-chaos macrumors regular

broken-chaos

This is correct. The hardware doesn't all have to be purchased from Apple, or else you'd get into silliness of breaking the EULA with RAM or, as noted, hard drive upgrades.

I think there was some (possibly tongue-in-cheek) speculation that the EULA was vague enough that sticking one of those included-with-everything Apple Stickers on a non-Apple machine might even be enough to cover the EULA requirement...