Is Force Touch Trackpad on the rMBP 2016 too big? Possible use with Apple Pencil?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Oct 27, 2016.

1. hajime macrumors 68040

It looks quite big. Will people touch it by mistake while typing?

2. SparkFlash macrumors 6502

SparkFlash

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68040

I am concerned that due to the reduced palm rest area, I might touch it by mistake.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

If it is just like the MacBook it won't be an issue

5. iPadProBaby macrumors newbie

iPadProBaby

I've got the 2012 Retina 15" and I can swipe, rest and move about my palm on the trackpad, and it's ALWAYS ignores it, because macOS detects the side of the touch point and ignores the big palm shaped blotches. So this won't be an issue.

6. hajime thread starter macrumors 68040

7. meboy macrumors regular

It is a issue.
    It's an issue on the RMB and will be even worse on the MBP.

Just wait and there will be more and more complaining about it.

8. cdodge03 macrumors newbie

cdodge03

yep. it is too big and I don't like it at all. I am hoping I can adjust to it after some time.

9. hajime thread starter macrumors 68040

Do you think Apple intentionally made it big so that with a software update, the user can use Apple Pencil to draw on the trackpad? If that is the case, bigger is better. The new MBP might be better than the current Surface Book i7. The problem I have with the SB i7 is that in tablet mode, the battery life sucks. I guess drawing/touching on the trackpad does not wobble as much as drawing/touching on the screen.

10. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

I don't see how. I am literaly doing my best to move the cursor with any part of my palm both on my Retina MBP and on my Magic Trackpad 2 with no success. It's almost a bit scary - with the finger it reacts to the lightest touch, but with my palm, or side of the palm - it doesn't matter if I touch lightly, with a small part of skin, or hard - with full rest on the trackpad - I cannot move the pointer at all.

It's one of those things where some people say they are having trouble, but I just can't reproduce it.

I'm convinced it won't be an issue for me.

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I have been using a rMB for over 18 months and have never once experienced a click or cursor move from my palms.

12. Ma2k5 macrumors 6502a

Ma2k5

Because the trackpad is so large, one of the issues I found is, there is less resting space for my fingers/thumbs - I think a lot of miss-presses are due to resting fingers here and there.

The palm-rejection software also seems to have created a few other touch-pad glitches/bugs (as can be found on this forum). Hope these are resolved very quickly as the touchbar/keyboard were probably the best part of the MacBooks (and the keyboard is already a step down from last years in my opinion).

13. hajime thread starter macrumors 68040

Can anybody try Apple Pencil on it? Can the trackpad be used as a drawing tablet?

14. az431 macrumors 6502

Use AstroPad instead

15. hajime thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks. Does it work well? I do prefer to carry less devices.