Is Forever 21 a fad or a strong brand like Apple?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Mar 29, 2011.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I went to the mall where another Forever 21 store was being opened and before anyone was let in, the workers were outside taking shipments and practically holding a party.

On opening day, girls camped out the night before (sound familiar) and line wrapped around the block.

Today I saw the interior and it's unlike anything I have ever seen. There's a branding that approaches what I have seen in the last 15 years with Apple.

I don't know if Forever 21 is here to stay, but right now they are hot.

Thoughts?

2. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

lol, forever 21 went bust at hilltop mall. That's all I've got to say. :D

3. the vj macrumors 6502a

I went to F21 with my ex girlfriend and she looked very hot in what ever I got for her. For me is a must-stop for any of the girls I date.

4. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Strike one: they are well-known users and abusers of sweatshop labor, both in the US and abroad.

Strike two: they have been caught many times ripping off other designers' work, from Diane von Fürstenburg to Gwen Stefani.

Strike three: they're owned by creepy evangelical Christians who have been accused of pushing their beliefs on their employees in a very heavy-handed way. Funny how "Christian charity" doesn't come into play when they pay their sweatshop employees $4/hr.

Strike four: their clothes are cheap, poorly made, disposable crap.

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

funny how there is an clothing store chain here in central/eastern europe called "Forever 18"

are they in any way related ? if not that would be hilarious

6. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I wonder if that is also Kohl's, Wal Mart, Old Navy, and Pac Sun, too.

It's terrible how unethical much of this business seems to be. I can understand avoiding offshore clothing where it's known there are human rights violations, but how to know if "made in USA" brands use sweatshop labor? It's very depressing.

I wanted to use a well known "American" brand for a supplier for skateboard graphics when I thought about expanding a side business I have doing skateboards into the more lucrative field of skate clothing, but then the CEO was all over the news for very unethical practices, right here in my own state. That was it and I have scratched them off my list of potential suppliers.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Forever 21 sells fads. As long as they continue to stick to selling trendy things to hipsters/mindless followers, they'll be fine. If they miss the mark, I suppose they're done for a season, but 3 months later, they're back with a fresh start.

I suppose they'll be fine in the long run. Not sure about them being a "strong" brand.

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

9. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Same, but Dorothy Perkins… ;)

10. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

There's only one Forever 21 store at the moment and that's in the Bullring (Birmingham).