is house m.d and other shows kissing mac ass ???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gokhan, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

hi all

Aint it funny how now that apple are a so called chick company a lot more tv shows are featuring macs so blatantly ??

i mean i love house m.d but they started with dell and now they have moved on to macs hmmmmm

Does apple pay these shows or what , i mean the general trend now seems to be , if you want a fashion accessory buy a mac !!

personally i think this undermines the genuine mac buyers who use the things because of osx not because they are the IT things of the moment.

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Say no to fanboyism. You are not your operating system. You are not your made-in-China laptop marked up by an American corporation. Regain perspective.

After that, read up on product placement. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_placement

3. djellison macrumors 68020

Maybe product placement, but academics (and thus medical professionals) in the US (and UK) are more likely to have a Mac than just about any other demographic. It would be realistic to give a few doc's and MBP.

Doug

4. lbeaumont macrumors member

Either Macs are the 'trendy' thing at the moment, or Apple is paying for that advertising. I wouldn't have thought Macs would have much medical software (not that I would know that kind of thing... yet), and have seen Macs on nearly every TV show and ad.

5. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

Macs are used by MANY film makers and those in that industry. They are the computer of the writers, producers, directors, and sometimes actors, so its no surprised that they appear in many TV shows and movies.

I don't think Apple pays for Mac product placement. (But maybe for Independence Day.)

6. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

its called "Advertising". look it up.
    and maybe think "hmm, I wonder why products would advertise on one of the most popular series on air right now?".
    And they arent a chick company. They clearly gear towards professionals.
    noob.

7. PimpDaddy macrumors 6502

I've never seen as many macs as in I Am Legend... Every goddamn computer in that movie was a mac... And they were sure to let people see that too :)

8. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

Exactly. Like I said, macs are not for "chicks" :)mad:) they are geared towards professionals.

I wonder if they are paying for it. I am not sure. Like someone else commented, Im sure some computers belong to the producers or director of the movie, but Its hard to say about everywhere you see them. I know in some small budget things I see, its obvious apple isnt paying them, it must just belong to someone in the film.

9. chunkdude macrumors newbie

in big budget tv shows and movies, without a doubt apple is paying thousands to get their product in there.

10. Antimatter macrumors regular

Yeup, MacBook Pro and he had it hooked up to a ACD in his Lab.

I always see Macs in commercials and movies. It's just because they are sexier than any other computer.

11. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Indeed, and Hugh Laurie is a Brit. :D

But seriously, if you are referring to the ever-present Apple Cinema Displays, one of the reasons they are so good is that they support high end 3-D medical imaging needs right out of the box, which very few other monitors do. They also support the VESA mount which is needed in hospital environments.

It's not that other companies don't make products that also support these things, but in that category of product it's the best value for the dollar and a complete no brainer.

Hospitals and Science labs that don't have ACD's likely don't more because of exclusive supplier issues and the decisions of purchase management types. The doctors and scientists almost always prefer the ACD's from what I have heard.

12. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

if anyone read that wikipedia article about product placement, and states that Apple insists they do not pay for product placement.

13. vixapphire macrumors 6502

exactly. i remember seeing a rerun of a "Friends" episode a few years back, and one of the girls was doing something on a TiBook; they had used grey duct tape to cover the white apple on the cover so it wasn't an unpaid product endorsement.

you betcha it's apple shelling out the dough to reach House's audience, which by the tone and vibe of the show is probably a direct hit, customer-basewise.

14. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

u can see the imac evolve on the george lopez show;)

15. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

um, obviously apple is paying HUGE amounts of money to place their products in these shows. I don't think there is a question about it.

16. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

17. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If they don't pay in cash, they pay in other ways. Nothing is free.

18. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

I think Apple is paying for these spots. Look at Superbad, Knocked Up, and Accepted. They are all movies with Macbook Pro's in them. Surely, not by coincidence either.

19. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

For those who don't know. APPLE pays them to display their computers. It's called PRODUCT PLACEMENT.

Shows and movies don't pay the companies, the companies pay THEM. So, if you want to say anything...say that Apple is paying off a lot of shows and movies to display their computers.

Get it right :cool:

20. jeff3221 macrumors regular

Ya, apple definetly pays them. There is supposed to be a new House tonight at 10:30 (20 min ago) but they still have the postgame show. :( I can't believe my pats lost. Biggest upset in sports history!

21. harry454 macrumors 6502

no macs do have medical software, my dad has them in his office and his dentist office, about 6 of them, 24 imacs all maxed out and he has a mac pro as a server

22. coogee macrumors regular

I'd imagine some of the staff on these shows are 'enjoying' their new Macs right now too :p:apple:

23. Gokhan thread starter macrumors 6502a

k

i mean if you watched the episode of house ( the one before the superbowl)
    he directly refers to s.jobs and displays wilsons iphone !!

i got no problem with macs being in tv shows but when these shows start with pc hardware and mysteriously switch to mac because its the IT thing to do ,that annoys me.

Although with house i can forgive somewhat as it is such a good show.

BUt face it a lot of people with macs (these newcomers) only buy them because they look pretty and are a fashion statement rather than being osx users and supporters , i feel this detracts from the real apple users who receive downgraded treatment from apple and others because now apple and its users (especially the newcomers) have become a majority rather than the minority that was valued before.

my 2 cents

p.s not flamming newcomers if your choice to go mac were based on the right decisions then you are sensible.

24. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Wow, have a big head? It's a computer... People - old and new - have their reasons for using Apple, simply because those reasons aren't the same as your reasons doesn't make them wrong or "unworthy". The "I'm better than you because I use Apple" is exactly the type of mindset that needs to go away.

25. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

The BBC show 'Spooks' has Macs absolutely everywhere - ACDs, iMacs, Powerbooks/MacBook Pros etc. :D