Is iCloud Photo Library included in Family Sharing?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by acousticbiker, Oct 17, 2014.

1. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

With iCloud Photo Library, is it possible for my wife and I to have a single photo library across all of our devices (with a single monthly payment for storage space)? Right now, her phone is still logged in under my Apple ID so that we can share the same Photostream (and so that our Mac iPhoto app imports pictures from both of our phones automatically), but this is suboptimal (especially since Find Friends is now automatically linked to the same Apple ID).

2. barnaby117 macrumors member

barnaby117

I'm hoping for the same thing! Doesn't seem possible right now.

3. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Sorta. There is an automatically created Family Shared Album but that must be manually populated. The method of using the same iCloud account would work with iCloud Photo Library though! So that's a workaround.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68040

The iCloud Photo Library takes ONE entire Photos Library off your Mac and syncs it with one such library on each of your other devices. Think of it as hardware dependent (it probably is, or uses AppleIDs which is sorta the same). So it may be that "her" iPhone is really seen as your iPhone.

And as you've probably seen, that can lead to interesting results. Apple assumes a rather different scenario.

5. barnaby117 macrumors member

barnaby117

That’s nice, but the best case would be for two iCloud accounts to be able to contribute to a shared library. We have personal iPhones, but family Macs. This has to be on Apple's radar, though.