Is iCloud that helpful if I only have one Apple device, a MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by key-lime, Oct 16, 2011.

1. key-lime macrumors newbie

I am trying to figure out the best way to transfer and have all of my email not on my computer physically and I am not sure how to. I have a brand new Apple and so I want to be sure of how to transfer all of my Outlook email from Windows to my Apple.

If I do not have an iPad or iPhone (yet), do I need iCloud or is it still going to be helpful in helping me achieve my goal? How so? If I get iCloud down the road, can I take all of my emails on my Apple hard drive and put them on the iCloud?

What other options are there to have my email on my Apple, but NOT have it be physically on my hard drive?

Thanks!

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

If you want to read you email on the road using a web browser? Setting up a new mac when you get one? ;)

3. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Considering you get a free 5GB, Yes I would use it even if you just have one device. Like mentioned before reading emails, calendar and contacts on the road may be very helpful later down the road.

4. eric/ Guest

eric/

I'm in the same boat. I only have a MBA. I downloaded the iCloud update, updated my account, and, well, nothing. I guess it'll be good when I get the next iPhone integration.

5. StrudelTurnover macrumors regular

I have no idea what iCloud will do for me yet. Other than making my Address Book synchronize without having to buy MobileMe. Probably when more apps start supporting it directly, and I expand my Apple products to iOS5 compatible things I will start to see some impact.

I have a new iMac with Lion. With every box checked, and every app loaded with data, it says I have 5GB of 5GB of storage available. I don't know what else to do with that storage...?

Meanwhile I've amassed 6.8GB of free storage from Dropbox, and I use it every single day. I thought about getting into Amazon Cloud, but my upload speed is terrible to load it with music, and I don't buy digital goods from Amazon anyway.

I have a 2nd gen iPod Touch which can't be upgraded to iOS5. Hoping to sell some things and get a new 4th gen Touch. But if the iPhoto library sync doesn't work the way I need it to, that will also be unimpressive and unused.

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro which I will not upgrade past Snow Leopard, because there are still things that don't work in Lion (like CUPS support for my new Lexmark printer). I always keep 2-3 versions of OSX accessible for compatibility and testing.

----------

But OP has a Macbook Air. If you're not taking an Air with you on the road, WTH is the point of buying one? :confused:

No convincing responses in this thread yet. :p