is iDVD and iWeb included with the new Lion iMacs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by meli, Jul 29, 2011.

1. meli, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

meli macrumors member

Macrumors just posted this on the front page, and I want to make sure iDVD is included with the new iMacs (that come with Lion pre-installed).

Thanks.

from Macrumors front page:
    "Apple is in the process of phasing out iWeb and iDVD and does not offer them for download via the Mac App Store or include them on the new MacBook Air and Mac mini."

And I notice on Apple's iMac page, they don't mention iDVD:
    http://www.apple.com/imac/software.html#ilife

2. seniorgeek macrumors member

No DVD's are included with new Imac's preinstalled with Lion, I just received mine yesterday.

3. T-Mac macrumors member

I'm curious about this also.

If iDVD is not included, how does one burn an iMovie project to DVD?

4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

That's what I was curious about. I have an older version of toast, but I only use it for straight burns of data.

I guess it is part of the doing away with the media thing?!?!

5. seniorgeek macrumors member

My error, I thought you said DVD as in Lion DVD's which it doesn't have, I do not see iDVD, i assume it would be in the applications folder.

6. meli thread starter macrumors member

seniorgeek, I haven't bought mine yet. Can you please check for me?
    thanks.

7. meli, Jul 29, 2011

meli thread starter macrumors member

I just called Apple Support. They said that iDVD and iWeb is included with all new computers. I'd still like some verification from someone who has a new computer that came with Lion installed.

Apple Support did confirm that neither iDVD nor iWeb are available from the online store. Which makes me wonder how you are to reinstall those programs if you do a clean install of Lion. (If you do a clean install, you download the other iLife applications from the online store.) I guess you'd have to know to back up those two applications. I foresee people getting burned on that one.

8. meli thread starter macrumors member

Well someone on the Apple forums stated their Lion iMac didn't come with iDVD or iWeb. So I'm thinking the information from Apple support is incorrect.

Can anyone else who has a new iMac that came with Lion pre-installed confirm that it includes neither iDVD or iWeb?

9. dfine1966, Jul 29, 2011

dfine1966 macrumors 6502

I was just reading all over the web about this, and it looks like iDVD and iWeb are not included at all on pre installed Macs with Lion. It looks like if you want iDVD and iWeb, you would need to go to a retail store or Amazon, and order iLife 11 boxed version. That looks like the only way you will get iDVD or iWeb. It looks like iWeb is being phased out for iCloud. I don't know why iDVD would be phased out unless it will be incorporated into iTunes (just a guess).

10. meli thread starter macrumors member

Well if that's true, there's no guarantee they will run under Lion even if you manage to install them.

11. dfine1966, Jul 29, 2011

dfine1966 macrumors 6502

There was just an update to iDvd and iWeb that makes it Lion compatible. I know iWeb is being phased out and some features don't work anymore in Lion. But I have Lion installed and iDVD works fine.

Here is a link to what works with Lion:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4711

Here is what it says:

iPhoto, iMovie, iWeb, iDVD, and Garageband: Versions you should use with OS X Lion

Last Modified: July 20, 2011
    Article: HT4711

Email this article
    Print this page
    Summary

Although earlier versions of iPhoto, iMovie, iWeb, iDVD, and Garageband may work with OS X Lion, using the following versions (and later) is highly recommended.
    Products Affected

iPhoto, GarageBand, iDVD, iWeb, iMovie

iPhoto 9.1.5
    iMovie 9.0.4
    GarageBand 6.0.4
    iWeb 3.0.4
    iDVD 7.1.2

12. meli thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. That's good to know. But if they just updated those apps, why would they not include them with new computers? Apple support says they are included, a couple people have said they don't see the applications on their new computers.

I'm not yet sure what the truth is.

13. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

Just checked on my MBA and can confirm that they are not included. THIS also confirms it.

14. meli thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I can see some logic behind not including iDVD on the new mini and air since they don't have optical drives. Though I still think they should be included, especially since they offer an external optical drive for the mini.

But so far I've only heard from one iMac user (on Apple's board) say they don't have iDVD or iWeb. You would think more people would be complaining. So I'm still not sure about the iMac.

15. carrako macrumors regular

just got new 27" iMac with Lion...no iDVD or iWeb pre-installed.

16. meli thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. It's frustrating that Apple Support is so misinformed about this.

I wonder if the new version of iMovie incorporates DVD burning software, making iDVD unnecessary? I doubt it. I'll check the iMovie board.

Otherwise, a friend of mine just bought a new iMac with Snow Leopard. I wonder if I could use his System Restore discs and extract the iDVD installer. I wonder if that would run on Lion?

Or maybe I could convince Apple sales to send me a (free) copy of the retail version of iLife '11, which includes iDVD?

17. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Or you could goto Amazon and get iLife 11 for $31. But a better solution would be to check out the Roxio products and just skip iDVD altogether.

18. meli thread starter macrumors member

It would be frustrating to, in effect, pay for iLife twice. I don't consider it unethical to install iDVD from a friend's disc. But this is obviously the end of the line for iDVD, so maybe I'll check Roxio in the future. Thanks.

19. fat.ivan macrumors newbie

me too

no idvd and iWeb pre installed

20. T-Mac macrumors member

No iDVD is a big disappointment. So let me get this straight...I ordered a new iMac with a superdrive and iMovie, but it will arrive with no way to burn my movie to a DVD. That seems so anti-Apple.

21. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

I guess you might have to buy something like, DVD Creator(39.99) from the Mac App Store to do what iDVD use to do. If it was me, I would buy iLife 11 boxed version for $31 off of Amazon. It is a lot cheaper. In all seriousness, call Apple and ask them how they expect to burn a DVD on an iMac if they haven't included iDVD. Maybe they will send you the box version of iLife 11 if you ask nicely.

22. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

Almost certain that you can install all of the iLife apps from the System Restore disc in Lion, like a guy who bought iLife on disc (or iWork) can still install them from the disc.

23. meli thread starter macrumors member

Lion doesn't have a System Restore disc. If you re-install Lion, you download the other iLife apps (iMovie, Garageband, iPhoto) from the online store. But neither iDVD nor iWeb are available from the online store, so you can't download them.

link: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

24. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

iLife '09 will do. You don't need a boxed copy of iLife '11 to install iDVD or iWeb as these products weren't updated with the 11 release. Just install it from the 09 disc if you have or can buy it, and run software update to get to the most recent, Lion compatible versions.

I realize this doesn't help if you don't have iLife '09 or are a recent Mac convert, but I assume a copy of iLife '09 would be even cheaper.

25. meli thread starter macrumors member

When I got my computer yesterday, it had Snow Leopard (and iDVD). I upgraded to Lion and iDVD seems to run fine under Lion.

So the problem was avoided for me. But other people are reporting that none of the Lion computers are shipping with iDVD.